Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Do you ever wish you were shooting film instead of digital?

Do you ever wish you were shooting film instead of digital?

After you take a picture with your Dslr , do you ever find your thumb feeling around for the film advance lever ? Happens too me sometimes especially after taking a single shot.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Do you ever.........

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    After you take a picture with your Dslr , do you ever find your thumb feeling around for the film advance lever ?
    No.

Usually my biggest boo-boo is getting 1/2 way through a 20 minute exposure and then remembering that I've forgotten to activate the viewfinder cover/blind that stops ambient light entering through the viewfinder.

I must say, no. Even my first SLR back in the 80's had automatic film advance.

Real Name
    Pops

I do, sometimes. If I have been shooting for a couple of days with the FG or FG-20 and then switch to the N60, N80 or D40 I end up picking my nose.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Occasionally - which got me thinking...

In these days of environmental awareness and wind up radios and torches, etc. why don't Canon give you a little thumb generator to re-charge the battery, come to think of it, since a camera is useless without light, why not solar cells on the pentaprism too

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Occasionally - which got me thinking...

In these days of environmental awareness and wind up radios and torches, etc. why don't Canon give you a little thumb generator to re-charge the battery, come to think of it, since a camera is useless without light, why not solar cells on the pentaprism too
    Ever tried a wind-up radio or torch? I had a play with one once - blah - never again. I love my 6x D-Cell Maglight with the after-market high intensity LED kit (kinda like having a car headlight on the end of a stick)

Of course with a 1D camera it's almost impossible to flatten a battery in a single day (even with live view!)

I should start carrying a big Mag lite at night so i can have light too focus for a long exsposure........

They make portable camping solar panels and infact I saw a guide on how to stitch a light panel into a laptop bag to make a charger for cell phones and similar small devices,,,

A few years ago I heard that a company was working on a Camera battery charger that ran off burning butane I think.

Real Name

I should start carrying a big Mag lite at night so i can have light too focus for a long exsposure........
    That's one of the things that I use it for. For sunsets it's usually not an issue because you can get the focus right whilst light levels are sufficiently high (and then switch to MF) - plus - in general, small apertures are used with gives a LOT of leeway focus wise. But sunrises are an issuse, and for that it's handy. Often the hyperfocal point is fairly close with a WA lens - and the torch is great for either helping the AF system lock on reliably or providing enough "ergs" to allow liveview to be used at 10x magnification for manual focusing.

They make portable camping solar panels and infact I saw a guide on how to stitch a light panel into a laptop bag to make a charger for cell phones and similar small devices,,,

A few years ago I heard that a company was working on a Camera battery charger that ran off burning butane I think.
    Call me old - call me a fool (just don't call me an old fool), but I just charge my batteries before I need them -- I take more if I need more - or I recharge them from the car / boat. If I was desperate I'd probably take a small petrol-powered generator.

well I was more thinking along the lines of a week long or longer camping and hiking trips with no source of electricity..so unless u wanna carry 10-15 batteries that would take weight from your wallet adn add it into your pack...a solar panel would make sense...

imagine a small panel that hangs onto the back of your pack or lays across the top...it wouldnt be a fast charge but would be better than nothing...it would be kinda of cool...you could slow charge batteries at home without using any house current. Or leave it in your car dash and charge a laptop battery or what not...Solar is the way to go..

Real Name

well I was more thinking along the lines of a week long or longer camping and hiking trips with no source of electricity..so unless u wanna carry 10-15 batteries that would take weight from your wallet adn add it into your pack...a solar panel would make sense...
    Well my 1Ds3 is good for around 1700 shots, so I think I'd just run with that

imagine a small panel that hangs onto the back of your pack or lays across the top...it wouldnt be a fast charge but would be better than nothing...it would be kinda of cool...you could slow charge batteries at home without using any house current. Or leave it in your car dash and charge a laptop battery or what not...Solar is the way to go..
    With the current state of the technology (pun intended) it would be next to useless - I looked at a solar panel with about the same surface area as a pack the other day - was a paltry 1.5 watts. And I think that if I had to tramp in the sun that long to charge up a pack they'd be carrying me out in a helicopter suffering from heat exhaustion

lol...then bring an ice maker too or an electric fan...

Real Name

LOL - I rest my case.

they make more efficiant ones too this is just the last of the reasonably priced models...