Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finding duplicate images...

Finding duplicate images...

Any suggestions on how to quickly find and eliminate duplicate images in my photo database? thx... regards... Dnorm ( and, i am using picasa )

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Finding duplicate images...

Hello Dnorm and welcome.

This -

http://download.cnet.com/ToniArts-Ea...-10522776.html

- is a general PC house keeping tool. It gets rid of temporary files, cleans the registry, shows disk usage, but it also has a duplicate file finder.

Filters can be applied so it will search for only one type of file eg .jpeg or it will find all duplicate files.

A little care is needed as its tempting to increase the free space on a hard drive by clearing out all duplicate files. There are a number of files which the OS will liberally duplicate all over the drive but are, I've read, essential and getting rid of those can be disastrous. No problem with copies of photos, though.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS This software is free

Real Name
    Gary

Try this link:

http://picasatutorials.com/2010/01/p...cate-pictures/

Cheers for now

Gary

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I've been using Doublekiller for a while now, and find it very easy to use.

thx guys...
    that link to the picasa tutorial was most helpful. I had tried the experimental 'find duplicates' function, and hadnt understood what was happening. with the info from the tutorial i was able to use it to eliminate the duplicates. next step is to begin to organize my photos into albums...
    regards... Dnorm
    Last edited by Dnorm; 10th October 2012 at 04:01 AM.

Re: Try Duplicate Files Deleter

Guys it is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by ketlin2 View Post
    Hi.
    I guess many others are facing the same problem. I came across a software that could do the job for you. It actually finds out all the duplicate files (including photos of course) on your PC by file types and then let`s you decide what do do with them. So,you can delete all the files while keeping the system files safe.
    http://duplicatefilesdeleter.com/
    You might want to read about this on Web of Trust before you click on that link, see:
    https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/d...lesdeleter.com

Ken

Real Name
    Remco

That sounds a bit too much like an ad, tbh. And no comment on 'stuck's warning either.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A first post by new member FrankLark has been withdrawn from this thread as it seemed to be advertising for a particular product.

If the poster wishes to refute this and demonstartes a genuine wish to be part of CiC, then the post will be restored.

ps - The product that I believe was being advertised is actually referred to by one of the longer-standing members in their post above.

"Duplicate file deleter" is one of the best duplicate file deleter utility I have ever seen.
    Easy to navigate and one of the most user friendly software. You can delete your duplicate files easily by using Duplicate file deleter.
    When you'll use it then you'll be agree with me .If you choose this software then that will be the correct decission. Hope you'll be able to solve your problem by following my suggestion.

Real Name
    Allen Conway

Just make sure what you want to do. Do you want to delete duplicate files or duplicate photos? Finding duplicate files is easy. Finding duplicate photos may involve deciding whether 2 photos are identical or not based on criteria other than the file name, size, times (when taken, modified, etc), and a checksum calculated from the contents. In other words deleting photos requires fuzzy logic and should allow you to decide which copy to delete. I use DuplicateCleaner.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by freddyop View Post
    Hello,
    To delete duplicate file you can visit 'http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com'
    Thanks
    Hmm, another one, just after the first add...
    Might it be interesting to check IP addresses where those two (edit:four) posts about this program originated?

(edit: I noticed it's actually the 4th post referring this program by a new member with only 1 post to his/her
    credit Ketlin2, Shaimali, FrankLark and freddyop), and two of those posts were after an interval of several
    month of inactivity in the thread). The only other reference to the site referred to was a warning to
    check WOT (Web of Trust) before clicking that link.

And the comments on WOT indicate a history of forum spamming...
    Last edited by revi; 17th March 2013 at 12:31 PM.