Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflectons and Ripples...

Real Name
    Joe

Reflectons and Ripples...

I have developed a love and fascination for reflections and ripples. For both to be photographed calm breezes and soft light work best. The following I hope depict what I try to portray. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Black Necked Stilt

Wood Storks

Willet

American Alligator

Last edited by jprzybyla; 30th September 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Reflectons and Ripples...

Hi Joe, a great series and the Wood Storks are stunning in that arrangement. Not sure if you have cropped it but in my opinion perhaps just a bit more space around it may be worth experimenting with.

Grahame

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Joe, a great series and the Wood Storks are stunning in that arrangement. Not sure if you have cropped it but in my opinion perhaps just a bit more space around it may be worth experimenting with.

Grahame
    Hello Grahame, thank you for viewing and commenting. Your suggestion was spot on, I edited the image and reposted it above.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's a great theme and all of your images are nice. Indeed, the phrase, R&R, takes on a new meaning thanks to your images.

The first and third photo, which are most similar in my mind, really speak to me because they are so exquisite. I hope you won't limit yourself to reflections and accompanying ripples of animals. Simple photos of reeds and grass in the water will work just as well.

Look forward to seeing more!

Real Name
    Kathy

Joe,
    The second photo really catches my attention! Love the sharpness and clarity of the photo! Nice job!

Kathy

Real Name
    Bobo

Are'nt reflections and ripples just great.
    Wonderful set of shots.

#2 is an outstanding shot.

Real Name
    Paul

Well done Joe. I agree #2 is really nice. The gators reflection is pretty cool....his head being so close to the water it made me try and figure out how the reflection could show the top of his head.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It's a great theme and all of your images are nice. Indeed, the phrase, R&R, takes on a new meaning thanks to your images.

The first and third photo, which are most similar in my mind, really speak to me because they are so exquisite. I hope you won't limit yourself to reflections and accompanying ripples of animals. Simple photos of reeds and grass in the water will work just as well.

Look forward to seeing more!
    Hello Mike, thank you for viewing and commenting on this posting. Knowing that my images/photography appeals to others is so important. In response to your suggestion of not exclusively photographing birds and reflections I do photograph plants, reeds and grasses when possible. Below I have posted one image from a series I have been working on of Mangroves and their reflections. Thanks again for your comments.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Joe,
    The second photo really catches my attention! Love the sharpness and clarity of the photo! Nice job!

Kathy
    Thank you Kathy, your viewing and comment is very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Are'nt reflections and ripples just great.
    Wonderful set of shots.

#2 is an outstanding shot.
    Thanks Bobo, much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Well done Joe. I agree #2 is really nice. The gators reflection is pretty cool....his head being so close to the water it made me try and figure out how the reflection could show the top of his head.
    Hi Paul, thank you for viewing and commenting. Regarding the reflection of the alligator I only realized after reading your comment that the top of the head was reflected. I have no idea why.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I love the alligator! How close were you to him/her, to be able to take this photo?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A really fine set of images Joe that fulfill the R&R title quite nicely. I particularly like the ballet the Wood Storks are performing!

Although I can see some potential alternatives, nothing jumps out and says 'fix me'!

Great image shooting vision!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    I love the alligator! How close were you to him/her, to be able to take this photo?
    Hello Kris, thank you for viewing and commenting on my images. In answer to you question how close was I to the alligator... about 30-40 feet. I was on a nature trail on top of a dike, to the right side was a former canal. The alligator was on the far side of the canal.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    A really fine set of images Joe that fulfill the R&R title quite nicely. I particularly like the ballet the Wood Storks are performing!

Although I can see some potential alternatives, nothing jumps out and says 'fix me'!

Great image shooting vision!
    Hello Frank, thanks for viewing and commenting. Regarding the potential alternatives you mentioned, please share whenever you have alternatives. I am always striving to be better and having seen your post processing accomplishments I certainly could learn from them.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Frank, thanks for viewing and commenting. Regarding the potential alternatives you mentioned, please share whenever you have alternatives. I am always striving to be better and having seen your post processing accomplishments I certainly could learn from them.
    Thank you for the kind words Joe.

Although they are all fine as you currently have them, as an alternative, I might try clipping some of the dead space at the top and bottom of #3 and experiment with various forms of tighter cropping with #4 to see how close I could get and still retain the ratio, reflection, and breathing space in front of the gator. Hope this helps give you some ideas to try out. In the end, it is the ones you like best that really matter.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Love the wood storks and the mangrove. I wonder though with the mangrove whether a tighter crop from the left would be better or else somehow toning down the three reflections of what I presume to be clouds. I appreciate the effect of the empty space on the left but I find the three reflections in the upper left competing for attention with the mangrove.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Thank you for the kind words Joe.

Although they are all fine as you currently have them, as an alternative, I might try clipping some of the dead space at the top and bottom of #3 and experiment with various forms of tighter cropping with #4 to see how close I could get and still retain the ratio, reflection, and breathing space in front of the gator. Hope this helps give you some ideas to try out. In the end, it is the ones you like best that really matter.
    Thanks Frank, I will try your suggestions. Always good to have another set of eyes seeing what may improve an image.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by HMW12 View Post
    Love the wood storks and the mangrove. I wonder though with the mangrove whether a tighter crop from the left would be better or else somehow toning down the three reflections of what I presume to be clouds. I appreciate the effect of the empty space on the left but I find the three reflections in the upper left competing for attention with the mangrove.
    Hello Helen, thank you for taking time to view and comment on my images. I understand what you write about the reflections of the clouds competing and drawing attention away from the Mangrove. I will make a virtual copy and explore the options you suggest.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Thanks Frank, I will try your suggestions. Always good to have another set of eyes seeing what may improve an image.
    Here is one more eye. You don't have to get this close,

but sometimes getting just a bit closer can change the viewers impression of what they are seeing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast