Thread: Requesting pointers on old buildings

Real Name
    Terri

Requesting pointers on old buildings

I'll make my excuses first - middle of the day, bright sun, traveling with non-photographers. by the time we left everyone was yelling at me to get out of the building and into the car! I could have spent hours looking for patterns and points of interest...

I walked around 3 sides of this building trying to figure out the best angles and light. There were also some newer structures above that I was trying to block out. Is side light best for texture with me at 90 degrees of the sun? Or is behind and to the side better? Or is there no set rule? If I could actually choose to go back, would I want to be there before the sun was on the building at all? It seems to me that photo #2 has the best light.

The first shot is included for reference only. It's not sharp focus and severely cropped - taken as I was hanging out the car door on a narrow shelf road with other vehicles behind us (more crazy excuses ).

For those who like old buildings and a little history. This is an ore reduction mill - Frisco Bagley Mill. It was built at another location and then assembled outside Animas Forks (now a ghost town) in 1912. For more info: http://www.historycolorado.org/sites...RSR/5SA165.pdf

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Re: Requesting pointers on old buildings

Hi Terri,

Nice subject. Antique 1912 bldg with historical significance set in a wonderful location.
    Frisco Bagley Mill. It was built at another location and then assembled outside Animas Forks (now a ghost town) in 1912. For more info: http://www.historycolorado.org/sites...RSR/5SA165.pdf
    Your choice of angles/location in #5 & 6 images is spot on. They give a distinct view (especially #6 close-up of the interlocking beams) of how they constructed wooden buildings 100yrs ago. Aside from showing the durability of their bldgs.

Perhaps, in your #4 photo, you could've added another. Maybe moving back, a little to your left (keeping the same perspective) until the viewfinder catches the whole structure. The sunlight on its wall.

Maybe, a wider #7 shot to show the background.

I guess, regarding technical advice, we can hear from the experienced guys here.

Thank you.

Vic
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 27th September 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Requesting pointers on old buildings

Thank you, Victor, for taking the time to comment. Your points are good ones and I appreciate the feedback.

I thought the history of the building was interesting and wish I'd read up on it before we got there. Another lesson learned - even on the backroads there's info to be found on good photo opportunities and one should do a little research and be prepared.