Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Forth Bridge #2

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Forth Bridge #2

As I explained when I posted Forth Bridge #5, one aspect of my shoot, last weekend, at the bridges crossing the River Forth near Edinburgh, was to not just concentrate on the grand vista of the entire rail bridge (the one in the foreground), but to get in closer and look at some detail. In particular I wanted to explore what I could do in terms of making images that would cause viewers do a compare and contrast with its more modern neighbour, the road bridge.

So, I was exploring angles and compositions.

The one in which I felt the 19th century rail bridge was framing the 1960s road bridge, appealed to me as a composition.

What do you think?

Forth Bridge #2
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 45mm. ISO100. 20s @f22. Singh Ray Vari ND

Real Name
    Dave Smith

Re: Forth Bridge #2

My first reaction was, "I like it." There are several things that I like including the pattens and textures in the foreground bridge and the patterns in the background bridge. I like the multiple lines of symmetry that are implied even if the framing and perspective don't make it overwhelmingly obvious. Being a fan of long exposures myself, I like the ND work to smooth out the water adding to the contrasting textures.

I'm having just a tiny bit of a hard time with the compositional balance. For me, it's off to the left to much (or too little?)...

Just for fun, I took a screen-capture cropping in on the sides a bit (but keeping most of the vertical). I put the main columns closer to the 5ths than the 3rds, which makes the foreground bridge into a stronger framing device, and just a bit more abstract while still being obvious what it is. It also re-inforces the strong vertical lines. The resulting background bridge now has its visible tower on the 3rd line within the frame. It's all personal choice, but I think I prefer the slightly tighter crop.

(I was trying to upload the modified screen-shot, but can't get it to work... I'm new here.)
    Last edited by dasmith232; 20th September 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: (Trying to upload modified image)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

No 1 - Welcome to CiC. Great to have you here.

No 2 - Thank you for commenting

No 3 - To get clear on the steps for posting an image, please have a read of - HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Real Name
    Dave Smith

Thanks for the welcome! I tried the "TinyPic" option, but obviously not doing something right. But it looks like I got another solution (which is now in my album...?)

Anyway, I figured out what I was getting hung up on. The foreground bridge extends far off to the right without any visible support. Obviously, I know that something is there, but it just feels to me like it's hanging there. Here's what I saw...

Forth Bridge #2
    Last edited by dasmith232; 20th September 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Real Name
    Philip

Hi Donald
    I do like this image. I know what Dave means about it being weighted to the left, but I dont think it detracts at all. The 2 closer pillars act well as a frame and I like the detail in both of the converging horizontal lines. I love the softness of the image, yet the sharpness of the darker areas make them stand out.
    I wonder if its possible to make the foreground right pillar look like its further away in stead of being shorter ? (just caught my eye). As composition, it doesnt hold my attention as long as #5 or that misty beauty you presented first (I think it was your first in the series), but a fine image none the less ! Wish mine came close !
    Regards
    Phil

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Donald,

Not so sure about this one. I also feel that the image is too heavily weighted to the left.

I zoomed in on my iPad, held vertically, so that it was framed quite tightly to the pillars of the railway bridge. So that you have about half as much space to the left of the pillar as you have now, and an equal amount on the right, and a loss of some of the sky.This to me gave a much stronger composition. It's probably a 3:2 aspect ratio. Does this make sense? I can't crop it and repost on this unfortunately.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I used to think I know how to count until I started following your Forth Bridge threads.

Do you by any chance have an image captured at this angle in which the distant bridge is the subject and that you are looking at it through the pillars of the foreground bridge? Imagine cropping below the top of the foreground bridge and above the top of the background bridge for a rough idea (at best) of the concept I'm getting at.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you guys. All good ideas to ponder upon with this file and think about for the next time I visit that location .... as I will.

Real Name
    Bobo

All I see is a great image.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    All I see is a great image.
    Thanks Bobo. You win the prize!

It is great to get the alternative points of view. I'm trying to push myself (albeit within my fairly narrow spectrum of landscape work) to explore different views and perspectives on what I do, so it's good to get a spread of reactions. It does make you stop and reflect.

Real Name
    Bobo

It is a great image. The diagonals and verticals look well balanced, the textures are great, the sharpness is great, perspective is great. What more can we ask for? Is there any such thing as a perfect picture??

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Is there any such thing as a perfect picture??
    Perhaps not, but Donald makes some that are as close as it comes.