Thread: The D600 is shipping today

Real Name
    Allan Short

The D600 is shipping today

I did not believe it, however the D600 is shipping today, mine was shipped by Canada Post this morning and I should recieve it they say on Friday. As I live out in the country I think it more likely Monday morning. What with the farce with the D800 they got it right this time, I just hope that CS6's raw program can work the images, I think it can as similar to D7000 and D800.

Cheers:

Allan

Re: The D600 is shipping today

That's great news! Nothing like waiting for a new toy to arrive.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

No how it feels! just can't wait to get your hands on it

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Much better than what happened with my D800; ordered in February and I got it in May and was told by my dealer I was one of the non-professionals to get it. It looks like Nikon has learned their lesson and built up a reasonable inventory prior to the release date.

That was the good new; the bad new was that the ACR update came out 2 or 3 weeks after I got the camera. That was several months after the camera was first announced and about 2 months after it started shipping. If you are shooting RAW, you are going have to use Capture NX2 for a while. While the interface is not great, the colours are more accurate than ACR. If I am not being lazy and want "true" colours I will export a 16 bit TIFF file and do the hard core editing in Photoshop, bypassing ACR entirely.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I found it hard to believe but when I went to the post office, my D600 was waiting for me, shipped on Wednesday by Canada Post and it arrived Thursday morning. I do not know which is are to believe that it shipped when Nikon said it would, or Canada Post got it here the next day. I do not live in the centre of the universe (Toronto), I live in a small hamlet about 1-1/2 hours east of there.

Cheers:

Allan

Wow that was fast! What ever it was you gotta love it.

Real Name
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    I found it hard to believe but when I went to the post office, my D600 was waiting for me, shipped on Wednesday by Canada Post and it arrived Thursday morning. I do not know which is are to believe that it shipped when Nikon said it would, or Canada Post got it here the next day. I do not live in the centre of the universe (Toronto), I live in a small hamlet about 1-1/2 hours east of there.

Cheers:

Allan
    Good for you. Keep us informed as to performance. Looking forward to reviews.

Regards,
    Gil

Real Name
    Allan Short

Took a few down by the lake, we had some clouds moving through. One problem as Manfred stated is I have to shoot in jpeg for some time as CS6 raw converter will not work on these files, second problem is that Nikon Capture NX2 is also not updated to handle the D600 raw files at this time. So I have to shoot in Raw and jpeg until these are udated. Once saving grace is I can still bring the jpeg into raw and do some post there. I am post a straight jpeg out of camera at the factory settings.

Cheers:

Allan

The D600 is shipping today
    Last edited by Polar01; 21st September 2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: trying to upload image, system will not allow

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Allan

When you say the system will not allow posting - do you mean CiC's or your own?

There have been some little gremlins of late. If it's at the CiC end, try again later and if you still have problems, send me a PM.

Anyway, congratulations of the new baby in the family. At least you can spend your time getting to know the camera and how to handle it until the software catches up with you.

EDIT - Aahh - It's there now.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st September 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post

Cheers:

Allan
    I buy a lot of my photo and video gear from an couple of shops in Toronto; even with shipping cost their prices are way better than what I can get in the Ottawa area I use a shop in London on occasion, because they occasionally have some very good prices. I find that anything I order iin the early afteroon will be waiting for me at the local post office when I get home from work the next day. Service inside the Quebec / Windsor corridor seems to be reliabily next day and the cost is way lower than from the courier companies (and I don't have to track half way across town to the UPS or Fedex offices if no one is home when the delivery occurs).
    Last edited by Manfred M; 21st September 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

So, what has your experience with the D600 been so far? Very curious to hear your verdict and comparisons to what you had before.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Peter: I am liking the D600 alot, one thing I did find with it is this. I take a lot of long exposures, with the D7000 I never worried about light leaking in through the viewfinder, even images I took that were several minutes in lenght. Light does not only leak in it is a flood.took several short 15-20 second shots and when viewed there was something wonkey about them, the colours were all off and I could see a recentagle in the image. I took another but covered the viewfinder and it did not appear, as to the flood comment doing a 4 minute exposure, the thick black cloth covering the viewfind fell off about 30 seconds off as I had to chase it, when the image was viewed it was spoiled. Never has that happen with the D7000, do know know if the same happens if using live view, will try that this afternoon as I will be going to shot with a group.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Every camera I every had did exactly what you are reporting with your D600. That's why Nikon supplies that easy to lose little viewfinder shade that clips to your hot shoe; at least they shipped it with the D90 and the D600 viewfinder looks the same as it, only larger, so I assume they would be doing the same on the D600.

I did some testing with my D90 on a tripod and found that while the impact was more obvious on a longer exposures, I could see some impact even on shorter exposures with / without the eyepiece shade in place. Thankfully the D800 has one that is built in, so it is a lot handier to use.