Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon D7K "focus issues....." Me too?

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Nikon D7K "focus issues....." Me too?

I returned my Nikon D7K to Nikon UK yesterday because of "autofocus issues". No matter what I did, I could not get the thing to focus on the same point consistently. Sometimes it back-focussed, sometimes it front-focussed and sometimes it nailed the correct focus. Results varied with focus distance, camera settings and lens used.

Anyone have similar problems with a D7K?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Nikon D7K "focus issues....." Me too?

I have been using the D7000 since about two months after it was officially released and I have not experienced these issues. It could be that you simply received a bad copy. Unfortunately, that happens even when the manufacturing failure rate is less than 0.1%.

Real Name
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I returned my Nikon D7K to Nikon UK yesterday because of "autofocus issues". No matter what I did, I could not get the thing to focus on the same point consistently. Sometimes it back-focussed, sometimes it front-focussed and sometimes it nailed the correct focus. Results varied with focus distance, camera settings and lens used.

Most of the time I find the autofocus works ok...most of the time. There are times I want to compose with a focus off-center. I cannot rely on the D7000 to choose the focus point(s) in that situation.

In any case, if you're not getting the focus point you want, use Single Point Auto Focus. While looking through the Viewfinder, on the lower left camera front, press and hold the AutoFocus Button. In the lower left viewfinder portion, you will see AFA, AFC or AFS. (Most of the time, I choose AFA). Turn the Rear Comman dial and you'll sequence through these modes. Stop when you see AFS.

For AFS, in the lower right Viewfinder portion you will notice S or Auto. Rotate the front sub-command dial and stop when its at S. I believe you can only use Single Point AutoFocus in AFS mode.

In order to change the focus point, on the camera back you can move the focus point left-right-up-down with your thumb pressing arrows to the right of the LCD. Pressing OK takes the focus point back to center.

I am an amateur, still learning the D7000 and I do search the Internet when I have issues. I have used Ken Rockwell's site on various occasions. I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Gil

Real Name
    John

After reading similar posts, a percentage of the responders got better results when their cameras were returned, a percentage found the issue to be the same, and a percentage were told there was nothing wrong with their system. Usually photographers suspect that it is the lens that is the issue. One way to test would have been to use the electronic rangefinder while in manual mode.

❚❚ The Electronic Rangefinder
    If the lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster,
    the viewfinder focus indicator can be used to confirm
    whether the subject in the selected focus point is in
    focus (the focus point can be selected from any of the
    39 focus points). After positioning the subject in the
    selected focus point, press the shutter-release button
    halfway and rotate the lens focus ring until the infocus
    indicator (I) is displayed. Note that with the
    subjects listed on page 93, the in-focus indicator may
    sometimes be displayed when the subject is not in
    focus; confirm focus in the viewfinder before shooting.
    A Focal Plane Position
    To determine the distance between your subject and the
    camera, measure from the focal plane mark on the camera
    body. The distance between the lens mounting flange and
    the focal plane is 46.5 mm (1.83 in.).
    Focal plane mark
    46.5 mm

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify, all testing was carried out under controlled conditions, using a lens-test chart as the target at 5m distance. Camera was set to AF-S single point and only the centre point was used. Exposure was one stop from wide open i.e. f2.8 on the primes with maximum apertures of f1.8. and f5.6 on the f3.5 zooms, shutter speed was 1/4000 or 1/6000, ISO 100, sunlight. Tripod and no filters. Back button focus. Each shot was repeated 3 times.

I believe the problem is in the firmware of the auto-focus module, but that's only a guess. Here's the target. The plane of focus is at 71cm on the rule. p.s. These shots were taken with a little Canon A550 P&S, so don't get excited!
    Nikon D7K "focus issues....."  Me too?
    Nikon D7K "focus issues....."  Me too?
    Last edited by GrahamS; 20th September 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Real Name
    Gil

What is NIKON UK response? Will NIKON UK replace or repair? Sounds like a manufacturing problem which should be corrected whether you have a warrantee or not...

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

I haven't had a response yet - I returned the camera via the dealer from whom I purchased it - Digital Depot - who give excellent service. They did tell me that the local Nikon rep has quit so they don't have anyone to talk to.

Real Name
    Gil

I found this LINK discussing NIKON DSLR Autofocus Problems, not just limited to D7000. NIKON should make good on your camera as this is a documented manufacturing problem. The second LINK outlines a test. I have not experienced problems, but may perform the test at some point. Keep us posted.

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-dslr-autofocus-problems

http://mansurovs.com/how-to-quickly-...tofocus-issues

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Thanks for this link Gil. My methodology was pretty much the same, but it's good to know that I'm doing things right.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

I received the D7k back from Nikon U.K. yesterday. The service report says:
    Identified listed faults
    Re-aligned autofocus sensor
    Adjusted auto focus mechanism
    Adjusted auro focus calibration
    Tested all functions
    Passed
    I have only had time to make sure that the camera is working - I have not yet had time to test the focus accuracy against the previous results but I will do so this week. Watch this space.

Real Name
    Gil

I received the D7k back from Nikon U.K. yesterday. The service report says:
    Identified listed faults
    Re-aligned autofocus sensor
    Adjusted auto focus mechanism
    Adjusted auro focus calibration
    Tested all functions
    Passed
    I have only had time to make sure that the camera is working - I have not yet had time to test the focus accuracy against the previous results but I will do so this week. Watch this space.
    Graham, with the detailed documentation you provided Nikon, they knew exactly what had to be done to get it right. And it appears they did. Nice to hear. Cheers!

Gil

Quote:
    In any case, if you're not getting the focus point you want, use Single Point Auto Focus. While looking through the Viewfinder, on the lower left camera front, press and hold the AutoFocus Button. In the lower left viewfinder portion, you will see AFA, AFC or AFS. (Most of the time, I choose AFA). Turn the Rear Comman dial and you'll sequence through these modes. Stop when you see AFS.

For AFS, in the lower right Viewfinder portion you will notice S or Auto. Rotate the front sub-command dial and stop when its at S. I believe you can only use Single Point AutoFocus in AFS mode.
    ------------------------------------------

Can you explain the second paragraph, "lower right Viewfinder portion you will notice S or Auto"
    I cannot find what you are referring to, holding the AF button the 2 dials either change the AF-A or C or S
    and the front dial changes the points from 39 down to single.
    There is not AUTO or S in the lower right.

Thanks

Greg

Real Name
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by greg14 View Post
    Quote:

------------------------------------------

Can you explain the second paragraph, "lower right Viewfinder portion you will notice S or Auto"
    I cannot find what you are referring to, holding the AF button the 2 dials either change the AF-A or C or S
    and the front dial changes the points from 39 down to single.
    There is not AUTO or S in the lower right.

Thanks

Greg
    Hi Greg, I believe your question is for me, as you're referring to comments I made early on. When you press the AF Button in the lower left viewfinder, using the rear command dial you can sequence through AFA, AFS and AFC. If you select AFS, then rotate the front sub-command dial, on the lower right you have only two choices being Auto or S. If you select AFA or AFC with the Command Dial, then as you say there are multiple choices in the lower right when rotating the front sub-command dial.

For me, the Auto Focus System of the NIKON D7000 is incredibly sophisticated, more advanced than on any camera used by me. You can also achieve Single Point AF by choosing AFA then turning the front dial and choosing 3D. The focus point moves with the object on which you're focused, whether you move the camera or the object moves.

I have still to experiment with the many AF possibilities with the D7000, but I expect to have this camera for many years to come.

Thanks for the info, as they say, you CAN learn something everyday.

Another question:
    I buy my stuff locally from a camera store that is family owned and been in business for 40 years.
    Can they check the back focusing issue or is it a situation where it has to go back to Nikon to bench calculate ?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You should probably ask the store about that, Greg. They can do as little or as much as they want. Nikon USA doesn't require an authorized dealer to perform any tests. However, I've seen reports that some stores have automatically replaced a brand new camera without testing it simply because the user felt it was back focusing.

By the way, Greg, you'll get more helpful responses if you add your location to the profile information displayed to the left of your posts. As an example, I referenced Nikon USA not knowing whether their policy applies to you.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Quote Originally Posted by NikonFL View Post
    Graham, with the detailed documentation you provided Nikon, they knew exactly what had to be done to get it right. And it appears they did. Nice to hear. Cheers!

Gil
    The weather conditions have been pretty poor since my D7k was returned, but so far all is well. A static check has shown that it now focuses bang on the target in all modes. I haven't had the opportunity to test it out on a dynamic subject such as at a football match, but I am confident it will now do what it says on the tin.

Thank you, Nikon U.K.