Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rugby 7s with the 70-300mm VR

Real Name
    Phil Page

Rugby 7s with the 70-300mm VR

There have been a few threads recently about the Nikkor 70-300mm VR, so I thought I'd share a few images from the Dubai Rugby 7s tournament with you.

To anyone who doesn't know about Rugby 7s, it's a shortened form of the game of rugby, played on a full sized pitch with 7 players per side over a shorter time period. It's faster, end to end, and equally complicated to explain the rules - wikipedia is your friend!!!!! Players tend to be smaller as there's less emphasis on the power aspects of the game. No-one in the Pacific Islands takes any notice of that though, as there's plenty of larger specimens from Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand playing!

As for the 70-300mm VR, it held up pretty well. There are times when you get some slightly strange bokeh and obviously you can't get the isolation of a 300mm f2.8. Luckily I was able to get some pitch side access for the games played by amateurs and local/regional/invitational sides as well as the full International teams on the main pitches. Coupled with a D700 it handled the lower light as the games went into the evening well.

I used Aperture Priority (yes, I know, not Full Manual and not Shutter Priority) with a minimum shutter around 1/500th to 1/640th and let the auto ISO ride (very liberating!). Most people claim the 70-300mm VR is good stopped down and as long as you don't go too long, but most of these are at or near wide open for reference. Here are a few from my shoot:

1. f5.6, ISO2800 - Argentina on the attack vs. France

2. f5.6, ISO3200 - Argentina vs. France scrummage

3. f5.6, ISO2000 - Fijian on the break against England

4. f5.6, ISO200 - lineout in an Invitational Semi Final

5. f5.6, ISO200 - Wales on the break vs. Argentina

6. f4.5, ISO200 - A little Samoan losing the ball in the tackle vs. Canada (early group match, hence the empty stands)

7. f6.3, ISO200 - South Africa on the attack

8. f6.3, ISO200 - Fly Emirates - The United Arab Emirates team's only try of the tournament

9. f6.3, ISO250 - A Fijian offloading in the tackle (I don't think he felt the tackle much!)

10. f5.6, ISO200 - my favourite of the weekend because of their facial expressions. A member of an old boys team (who I used to play against when I was at school) breaking the tackle to score

Last edited by dubaiphil; 18th September 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Rugby 7s with the 70-300mm VR

Phil,

As someone living in Fiji I HAVE to say they are excellent pictures. Seriously, a superb series of photos and I love the B&W conversion.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Grahame

Fiji lost to England in the end, but were looking fantastic all the way through the tournament.

I was trying to build up my portfolio over the past year and trying different types of photography. Luckily I was able to get good access at the Rugby and Beach Soccer (literally on the sidelines - fantastic!). This sort of thing is quite accessible in Dubai which is very fortunate. I did feel a little under-endowed compared to the 200-400s, 300s, 400s, and Canon equivalents in the 'pro' community but the 70-300 held its own well!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Phil they are a superb set but with the notable shortcoming of not showing any of the NZ players. Gear wise very interesting as I intend to go full frame shortly.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Paul

What can I say? I covered one game but all the action was at the far end. New Zealand didn't progress to the final so I never shot their game again!

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Fantastic set of action packed photos in my favourite B&W. Love the expressions on their faces and so pleased to see Wales represented amongst your inspirational images.....more please

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Joanne - Wales did pretty well but had a young side out.

Real Name
    Gary

Sorry mate, but my problem with these is a lack of colour. For me anyway it's an absolute must for sports photography. The way I see it is, it's the way I identify teams That's what I would initially look for. but it seems to me anyway it's something that's quite important for the viewer.

That's the negative out of the way. As said before I enjoy sports photography and rugby sevens is a particularly fast moving game which makes it difficult to capture. But, these images have certainly captured the spirit and energy of the game.

Cheers for now

Gary
    Last edited by oldgreygary; 19th September 2012 at 05:47 AM.

Real Name
    Phil Page

No problem, Gary - I have colour too

Real Name
    Gary

For me anyway, that makes a huge difference. Just to add to my thoughts. I guess were I'm coming from is that I see B+W as a more contemplative, thought provoking way to take photographs. If say, it was in a full rugby game and a kicker was about to take an important penalty. Then maybe in B+W an image of his/her face deep in concentration would work better. But, for something like rugby sevens which is a dynamic, intense and fast moving game then I think for me anyway it's better reflected in colour.

I think that your B+W work works really well in the other images that you post of people and places which I think lean towards a more reflective, contemplative and thoughtful approach. That's how I view B+W working at its best. That's just my opinion though. As other people in the post enjoy the B+W shots.

Cheers for now

Gary