Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great experience

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Great experience

Last Saturday I wen to a nearby flood plain for sunrise and to capture some fog photos. While I was doing this I could hear Brolga's (cranes) in the fog but by time the fog lifted I realised there was over 300 of them. They are so hard to photo as they wont let you get near. So a plan came to me which I carried out. The next morning I arrived early and walked into the fog to where they had been feeding before sunrise. I sat down and waited until they came. I couldn't see them but could hear them landing all around me with their unmistakeable mating call "Cordo, Cordo". As it became lighter their silhouettes appeared. I shot a few very soft shots before they realised I was there, so close to them. Although I didnt get the shots I had hoped for the experience was magnificent. I think I will do it again, just the sounds alone made my week. A few shots below.
    1.Great experience
    2.Great experience
    3.Great experience
    4.Great experience

Real Name
    Soozie

Re: Great experience

Hi Wayne.

Although I cant comment on your technical prowess (because I"m very early in the learning process) I can say that the experience alone makes me get goosebumps as I can almost hear them reading your story. I do however, really like your last shot of sunrise. It would have been even nicer if the birds had stayed long enough to be silhouettes for this shot.

Great work and a truly fabulous story.

Soozie

Real Name
    Bobo

The lengths we go to...

You may not have got the shots you wanted but you will. Persistence and patience always works.

Sometimes I take a folding stool and just sit there quietly - smaller footprint = calmer birds. Wish my camera had a quiet mode so that the clicks don't scare them off.

The day was not a loss imho - these shots are really great.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    The day was not a loss imho - these shots are really great.
    I agree, particularly the 3rd and 4th images.

I have great admiration for the patience shown by the successful wildlife photographers. And you can always tell when someone is serious and is prepared to wait it out. I'm sure there are the occasional excellent shots that were grabbed without a lot of waiting, but the consistently quality work, such as Bobo's, shows that patience, allied to skill and artistic ability is the mark of the really good photographers.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Wayne, well done on the effort. I like #3 nice and simple with just a hint of colour.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The last two images are great examples of muted, pastel tones that look absolutely terrific in sharp contrast to the tendency to post-process images so they have highly saturated tones. Very, very nice!

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thank you all for your comments, it was a pleasure to be served up a main course by mother nature with all the trimmings and the images will help me to remember to get up again early to be rewarded. Here's one more to give you an idea of how many there were, this was not all by any means.Great experience

Real Name
    Emily

Great shots. How about some type of blind?

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
    Great shots. How about some type of blind?
    I've never used one but it may work. I'll see if I can get it together.

Real Name
    Orlando

The hell with the shots! That's gotta be an awesome experience! We shall forever call you "sit with cranes"!
    I kinda like the first one, though. If only it was a tad lighter a bit more contrast, but I understand the conditions you were in.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by orlcam88 View Post
    The hell with the shots! That's gotta be an awesome experience! We shall forever call you "sit with cranes"!
    I kinda like the first one, though. If only it was a tad lighter a bit more contrast, but I understand the conditions you were in.
    Thanks Orlando, it sure was something.