Thread: Old House - Asking for C&C

Real Name
    Terri

Old House - Asking for C&C

I have these four perspectives on an old house and would appreciate opinions on which has better composition. #1 & 2 and then #3 & 4 are the same photo, cropped differently. All C&C appreciated but I am mostly after considerations in the field rather than PP. Thank you!

#1 On this one, I like that the fence post is not in front of "important" parts of the house and that the perspective includes the fence/corral out back. I don't like that there is no space between the flowers and the house and that the flowers are not in focus. I am torn about whether the sky adds or detracts.

#2 Same comments as above only without the sky

#3 I really like that the flowers sort of frame the bottom of the picture but again wish I had got them in focus. I like the contour of the mountain and the sky but it feels like if I were going to include those feature I should not have cut the top off the mountain. I don't like the fence post in front of the door and I don't like the shadows cast by the clouds behind the house.

#4 Same as #3 only cropping out the sky.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Old House - Asking for C&C

Hi Terri, This subject has a lot of character and a lot of potential for a very interesting composition.

In both cases the sky is such a small part of the image that I don't feel it has much impact on the overall scene.

I find that although some wooden fences can be quite artistic and can add value to a composition, metal fences, particularly barbed wire ones seldom provide that same warm and fuzzy feeling so I would have probably shot the scene without the wire fence.

If the flowers are far enough from the house so that they are difficult to get in focus along with the house I would have to ask myself "which is the subject?" and choose one or the other.

In the second image, the shadow on the hill provides a sharp demarcation that cuts the background in half. Here I think I would be watching the sky to see if the shadow may be on the move and likely wait for a more pleasing shadow combination if at all possible.

Lastly, shooting at noon produces some of the harshest shadows. If possible, I would return about an hour before sunset to take advantage of the softer light.

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Look for the shadows, Terri. That will guide you to see the angle that would make the old barn house stand out.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The guys have said it all above, I think.

The image definitely does not need the sky. Attention is far more concentrated on the building when the sky is not included.

When you're out in the field and looking through the viewfinder, one of the questions you need to be continually asking yourself as you compose is 'What is inside the frame and is it all needed in order to make the image I want to create?'. That helps you to train yourself to look really hard at what you are about to capture and you'll find yourself becoming much more critical and aware.