Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Birds Wednesday

Real Name
    Joe

Birds Wednesday

Earlier I posted butterflies I shot today, here are a few of the birds I photographed today. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Turkey Vulture

Birds Wednesday

Tri-colored Heron

Birds Wednesday

Snowy Egret

Birds Wednesday

Comorant

Birds Wednesday

Little Blue Heron

Birds Wednesday

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Birds Wednesday

Great shots as usual. Amazing the variety of stuff you get.

I am still struggling to get a good underside exposure like your last 2. What settings did you use?

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Great shots as usual. Amazing the variety of stuff you get.

I am still struggling to get a good underside exposure like your last 2. What settings did you use?
    Thanks Bobo, the settings are easy. For birds that are not in flight I shoot everything with aperature priority, mostly with f/8. I change from that aperture if I need more depth of field. For birds in flight I shoot everything with shutter priority at either 1/1600 or 1/2000 depending on how fast the bird flies. I let the camera decide on the ISO needed for correct exposure. If I want to over or under expose (such as for a white or black bird) I use the +/- EV control. That being said what has improved my images the most has been paying attention to where the light is (the sun) and how it will light the subject. Where I photograph the most is a nauture preserve that is a large wetland/marsh area. There have been dikes constructed to control the water, the trails are on top of the dikes. When I walk out in the morning the sun is on my left. So whatever is on my right and slightly forward has the sun lighting it. So I only shoot that side whether the bird is stationary or flying. The only exception would be a white bird (such as the snowy egret) because I like them backlighted and it is easier to control the exposure.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Joe, that is more or less what I do though most times it is Manual and between 1/800-1/2000 depending on the light.
    Will try shutter priority and +/- EV and see how that goes.

What metering do you use?

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Bobo, I almost exclusively use Nikon's multi-pattern metering which meters the whole frame and then balances it out for the best exposure. I then adjust the exposure in post processing and use the tone curve and point curve in Adobe Lightroom to lighten or darken parts of the image. I just figure that I have paid over a $1000 dollars for a camera with the ability to autofocus, set exposure, and iso for whatever conditions are encountered so I trust and use the auto settings. The camera can do it faster and more accurate than I could. Also if you are panning shooting a bird in flight and the bird moves from clear blue sky to a cloudy overcast area the exposure needs to change. The auto settings in the camera can do that as needed by changing the iso. It just works for me, I know others do it differently. I like to keep it simple, paying attention to what aperture I need for the depth offield and what shutter speed I need for sharp images gives me only two things to set. Very simple and easy to do.

Real Name
    Bobo

I will need to do as you do and let the camera do more work. Going to try that out this afternoon and see how that goes.

Thanks for your insights.