Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Porter

Real Name
    Phil Page

The Porter

I stumbled across this Pakistani porter in the covered alleyways of the textile souk deep in conversation while holding this pose. A quick waggle of the camera and he didn't want his photo taken, but his friend persuaded him.

Again, great light from the open air and the traditional clothes this man is wearing really comes alive, with the shadows and texture in the drapes of the cloth.

I printed this shot for him and found him out a couple of days later - the man was delighted and was very happy to send home to his family in Pakistan, as these workers only travel home once every 2 years.

D700, 85mm f1.4D

The Porter

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: The Porter

Hi, Phil

Very nice image, great expression. Certainly appears you developed some rapport with your subject to gain this degree of cooperation and relaxation. Tthe very light background behind his shoulders and head pulls my eyes toward the light and away from his face a little. I wonder whether a mild crop of the top and some darkening of that bright background wuold better offset his face. Excellent shot overall.

Kevin

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: The Porter

Very nice work, Phil. Good use of DOF, tight framing, and it's a good environmental portrait shot. You could do some selective dodging and burning to add some more "depth" to the shot but it is already good as it is. Good job!