Thread: Rail Road - Sari-Ghaemshahr - Iran

Real Name
    Meisam

Rail Road - Sari-Ghaemshahr - Iran

Hello, just try to do an HDR (3 shots with 1 stop difference -1,0,+1), combined used HDR Pro (Photoshop CS6), HDRed on Photomatix Pro 4.2, Black and white by Photoshop CS6,

Where did I go wrong? What do you think about composition? What do you think about edit?!

Thanks in forward.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Rail Road - Sari-Ghaemshahr - Iran

Meisam: answers in order, nowhere, I like it, It works for me. I like that you did not go for that heay tone mapping that so may people use, that said I do that sometimes as a certain image will work well with it. I was wondering why you put the 3 shots together in CS6, then went to Photomatix, you could have taken the 3 images straight into Photomatrix then into CS6? If I make a suggestion, try if you have not before 2 stops instead of 1 stop, sometimes I will shoot 3 stop difference, along with 2 stop and 1 stop to see which will give me the best results. Again very nice image, really like how that left hand rail takes you down the line through that hole in the trees.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I like it. The subject crop and composition are interesting. HDR is fine...I wonder if you did a 2-stop spread if you would have pulled even more detail out of the clouds.

Chuck

Real Name
    Meisam

Thanks Allan and Chuck

Why I merge them in PS is PS do it better than Nik HDR Efex pro and Photomatix Pro. PS's ghosting isn't very well but merging is better than those softwares.

Thanks for your warm message, and you are right, maybe I need to try some more stops but to make a realistic HDR, 1 stop is enough I think! Maybe I am wrong?! I am not sure!!!

Edited on Nik HDR Efex Pro...

Last edited by Meisam; 19th August 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Meisam

I think the composition is very good. I particularly like how you have deliberately not gone for the fully symmetrical look on the rails by standing in the middle of the track. I took a similar approach in an image I presented recently (here) and, like your one above, I think it makes an interesting composition.

I do like your original post. For me, the second version is over processed.

Real Name
    Meisam

Thanks Donald, Your photo is so cool and neat, I barely can find such neat places around...
    I also feel 2nd one is over processed, I just tried to reach more details...

I really like it, not over done as I have done myself and seen others do. I like the way the sun rays are coming through the clouds. Everything is awesome.

By the way Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 handles ghosting much better than HDR Efex Pro. You can get a 15 day trial of it. When my funds improve I plan on getting it as I do not like the older version. I was very impressed with the trial. If you own HDR Efex Pro then it will be an upgrade to HDR Efex Pro2.

Real Name
    Meisam

The best Ghosting removal I've ever seen is Photomatix, it let you to chose manual way and drawing a line around the subject need to be fixed, and WOW! it rocks! then you can process it or save it as a TIFF file then process it in Nik HDR! I am not using ver 2.0 but I try it, and I will tell you what it looks like...

P.S.: Thanks Carl for your nice comments
    Last edited by Meisam; 19th August 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Meisam I was wondering do you have Nik's Viveza software as you are using the HDR program. You could use it to bring out the clouds more like the second image, but keep the those areas under the sky the same as the first image. Just a thought.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Gretchen

I don't think you did anything wrong. I really, really like it.

Real Name
    mehere

As others have said I really like the composition and crop in particular the fact that you have anchored the right hand rail to the bottom right hand corner. But some comments on the HDR. If you look at your first version you will see two indicators that a 0ne stop spread is not enough. If you look at the shadows, particularly the rails in both versions you see that there is not much detail there. Equally in the bright spot the telephone wires have been lost completely, ie blow out. If this is an artistic effect then fine but for me it shows that the top and bottom end were over/underexposed. +2,0.-2 would probably have covered the bottom but I might have been tempted to go for 5 shots. -3.-2,0,+1,+3. I would also strongly agree that the best deghosting is in Photomatix 4 and as a CS5 user and I have no issues with alignment in any of the software you have mentioned . A technique you might find useful, particularly if you are concerned about 'OVER HDR' skies' is to process using Photomatix detail enhancer to get the effect you want for the middle and foreground even if this ends up with the dreaded halo. Save and then reprocess the bracketed shots again but this time using exposure fusion in Photomatix to produce the sky you want. You very rarely end up with halo problems using exposure fusion. It is then only a matter of layer masking in PS to blend together the two Photomatix versions. For me in fact it is not unusual to process 3,4 or 5 different versions in Photomatix and then blend them in PS. Having said all of that I still think you have produced a damned fine shot. Well done.

Peter