Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Indonesia Pesona Festival (Darwin)

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Indonesia Pesona Festival (Darwin)

I just picked up my first speed light, a 430 EX 11, and took it for a test run at the Darwin Festival. These colourful performances were good but I decided not to use the flash on some of them. Your feedback on these pictures would be appreciated, in particular the light, lack of it, or abundance. Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Indonesia Pesona Festival (Darwin)

I'm no event shooter, but my reactions is that the first two could have done with more light, but the second two work just fine.

Sometimes, Wayne, I don't like using flash if I feel it would be an intrusion on the performance, etc. But that usually means having to make some compromises with other settings.

In some circumstances, a strong mix of light and dark can work well but, too often, I find it just looks poorly exposed.

I think you have just got away with the first two because of the dramatic nature of the scenes. The same exposure on a more 'commonplace' situation would have failed.

With #3, I think I would try adding just a fraction more brightness just to her face using an adjustment layer and mask.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm no event shooter, but my reactions is that the first two could have done with more light, but the second two work just fine.
    Thanks Donald

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Sometimes, Wayne, I don't like using flash if I feel it would be an intrusion on the performance, etc. But that usually means having to make some compromises with other settings.

In some circumstances, a strong mix of light and dark can work well but, too often, I find it just looks poorly exposed.

I think you have just got away with the first two because of the dramatic nature of the scenes. The same exposure on a more 'commonplace' situation would have failed.

With #3, I think I would try adding just a fraction more brightness just to her face using an adjustment layer and mask.
    Thanks Geoff, Good feedback.