Thread: Copper.Treatment.With.Sun

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Copper.Treatment.With.Sun

This is just a picture from my imagination. I wanted something simple and uncluttered. With side shading I tried to create a 3-D effect on the picture's surface.

All comments are welcome.

Copper.Treatment.With.Sun

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Copper.Treatment.With.Sun

Very imaginative. Interestingly, I don't think the side shading adds a three-dimensional element. Instead, I think the sharp tree limbs and the out-of-focus sun accomplish that goal very well all on their own.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think I'd be tempted to produce it without the burning on each side. The reason I say that is that it is a relatively unusual technique and, as such, it tends to drag our attention away from the main subjects in the frame.

I've been covering them up whilst I view the image and I think what is there without those features is a very strong image.

Thank you. You're correct about the shading's effect on the picture itself. I was talking about the shading's effect on the dimensionality of the picture's surface -- maybe it's a bit hoky but I like it.

Donald, I tried the picture without the side shading and it looked "naked." Of course, this is before I added the sun. I'll try to recover the picture and eliminate the side shading and see how it looks. (Being a newbie to photography I tend to process my pictures in a very "willy-nilly" manner. I'm trying to improve my work flow process so that I can reverse engineer my post processing steps.)

Thanks

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Being a newbie to photography I tend to process my pictures in a very "willy-nilly" manner. I'm trying to improve my work flow process so that I can reverse engineer my post processing steps.
    Oh good, its not just me then

It'll come with practice, so just keep shooting and processing

If you were trying to get this to look like it was printed on the side of a can/bottle, then applying a cylindrical warp effect to the image may help give that impression, the effect this would have on the image content will be minimal in the centre of frame and get more effective towards the sides, so it would perhaps stretch the sun a little on right and 'recede' the branches on extreme left.

Unfortunately I can't advise how you could do this as I'm not as "hoky" as you

Cheers,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm pleased to announce that reading the entire thread is all that was required for me to accurately grasp what Karm is trying to achieve and to fully appreciate how meaningless my earlier post is.

I'll see if any of my software programs have the cylindrical warp effect (It sounds like something someone would say on a Star Trek episode). I really wasn't looking for a full-wrap around illusion: just the two sides slightly curved to give the picture surface some dimensionality.

Thanks