Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pileated Woodpecker...

Real Name
    Joe

Pileated Woodpecker...

I post these not because of the quality of the image but only to show the bird. The conditions were impossible. Bright sky beyond and the bird in deep shadows. Expose for the sky and the bird and tree are black. Expose for the bird and tree and the sky is blownout. So I recovered the detail in the bird as best I could in post processing. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Pileated Woodpecker...

Pileated Woodpecker...

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Pileated Woodpecker...

I feel your pain Joe. I do like #2 though. These are a tough bird to find much less shoot. Anytime I have seen one they are either flying a ways off or they are far up a tree. Other than the one time I was standing out in the yard talking on the cell phone and one landed 6ft from me. The person on the other end got hung up on and I snapped a blurry shot. lol

Real Name
    Terri

I think you did a great job under those conditions. I, too, like the second one. He looks a little like a mad scientist.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shots given the extreme conditions.

I would'nt worry too much about them as there will always be one day when a woody will present itself to you in the perfectest of conditions.

Real Name
    Mark

Exactly the sort of shots where a flash would be perfect. Nice shots and a lovely bird.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I feel your pain Joe. I do like #2 though. These are a tough bird to find much less shoot. Anytime I have seen one they are either flying a ways off or they are far up a tree. Other than the one time I was standing out in the yard talking on the cell phone and one landed 6ft from me. The person on the other end got hung up on and I snapped a blurry shot. lol
    Thanks Paul, I have had the same experience regarding being far up a tree or off in the distance flying. When I first saw this one he was far off flying but then landed in a tree nearby although quite high up. I never had the experience of one landing 6 feet away though. Keep shooting my friend.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I think you did a great job under those conditions. I, too, like the second one. He looks a little like a mad scientist.
    Thanks Terry, much appreciated. As I remember the mad scientist I can see why you think that.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Nice shots given the extreme conditions.

I would'nt worry too much about them as there will always be one day when a woody will present itself to you in the perfectest of conditions.
    Thanks Bobo, I live for one in perfect conditions. Keep shooting my friend.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Exactly the sort of shots where a flash would be perfect. Nice shots and a lovely bird.
    Thanks Mark, I agree in this instance a flash and a Better Beamer would have worked well, but most times in Florida with our bright harsh sunshine one is fighting to control light rather than add to it. Thanks again for commenting.