Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Few Spider Macros

Real Name
    Georgepat

A Few Spider Macros

Here are a few of my favorite spider shots I have taken this season here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
    I shoot handheld, in manual, with either a Nikon 105mm or Sigma 105mm Macro lens with a Kenco 1.4 TC attached to one of my trusty Nikon D80's.(soon to be upgraded to a 800) I use the pop up flash with a home made flash diffuser from a plastic milk bottle.

I have a serious health issue, (COPD,) and have had to figure out ways for me to be able to enjoy my hobby. I shoot from my portable studio (pickup truck), or set things up on the bed cover. Primitive, but it works for me.

Mating Orchard Web Spiders

A Few Spider Macros
    Last edited by Georgepat; 9th August 2012 at 02:47 PM.

Real Name
    Georgepat

Re: A Few Spider Macros

Another one...

Nursery Web Spider with Robber Fly

A Few Spider Macros

Real Name
    Georgepat

Crab Spider Waiting on Dinner to Approach

A Few Spider Macros

Real Name
    Georgepat

Last one today...

A female Mecaphesa asperata Crab Spider

A Few Spider Macros

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Interesting photos. I am surprised they posed for you. The first and second appear very bright and I wonder if you couldn't reduce the flash strength, even if it means covering the flash with some material. The lighting in the third image is not as "hot". In the fourth image, perhaps just reducing the highlights will tone down the leaves and white spots on the spider's back. My two cents worth...

Real Name
    Georgepat

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Interesting photos. I am surprised they posed for you. The first and second appear very bright and I wonder if you couldn't reduce the flash strength, even if it means covering the flash with some material. The lighting in the third image is not as "hot". In the fourth image, perhaps just reducing the highlights will tone down the leaves and white spots on the spider's back. My two cents worth...
    Thanks for commenting.

I have worked out a system that, while not always perfect, allows me to get away with having many of my subjects remain still and unbothered by my lens.

For example, I have learned that a spider (non jumper) on a plant stem or grass seed head will usually remain calm as long as you allow it to remain in a vertical position. I carefully clip the veg it's on, and place it in a deer's jawbone that has several holes in which to help keep it erect. The two Orchard spiders in this thread remained unperturbed for long over an hour and a couple hundred shots.

When I finished shooting, I returned the plant to where I had collected it with no harm done.

Shooting early in the day, while still cool, or later in the evening, when they are settling in for the night, helps as well.

These shots were taken before I made the plastic milk jug diffuser I use now, and it has eliminated some of the problems you mentioned.

I find that macro shooting is an ongoing learning experience which I look forward to each and every day!

Real Name
    Bobo

Welcome George. Good to see you here.
    Amazing shots as I keep saying.

Real Name
    Georgepat

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Welcome George. Good to see you here.
    Amazing shots as I keep saying.
    Hi, Bobo!

Didn't know you were here, but sure glad you are. Was feeling a little alone here.

Thanks for the kind words!

Real Name
    Bobo

This is a fine place George. Lots of helpful people here.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Georgepat View Post
    Thanks for commenting.

I have worked out a system that, while not always perfect, allows me to get away with having many of my subjects remain still and unbothered by my lens.
    Thanks for the explanation.