Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ophelia

Ophelia

This is "Ophelia". My beautiful baby Green Tree Python (morelia viridis) I have decided she is a female, mainly because of her peaceful temperament even though it is too early to confirm the sex. Using 5DmarkIII with 100mm macro 2.8L

Ophelia

Ophelia

Ophelia
    Last edited by Craig Weir; 13th August 2012 at 12:09 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Ophelia

I gather that the name, Green Tree Python, refers to the color of the tree and not the snake. (You can tell from that comment that I know nothing about snakes.) You're gonna have a lot of fun photographing your new pet.

HAHA Yeh it did cross my mind to mention the juveniles are red or yellow. cheers

Real Name
    Gretchen

I'm really not a reptile/snake fan. I do like these shots tho --Ophelia is bright and clear. The second one has nice contrast with the branch she is twined around. One question, on the first picture it almost looks like she has a gold ring (actual metal) around her eye --but on the other pics I can see it is part of her skin. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    I'm really not a reptile/snake fan. I do like these shots tho --Ophelia is bright and clear. The second one has nice contrast with the branch she is twined around. One question, on the first picture it almost looks like she has a gold ring (actual metal) around her eye --but on the other pics I can see it is part of her skin. Is that right?
    Hi Gretchen,
    It is part of her skin. I guess it would be an eye lid if she had any.
    I love how the pattern of her scales continues through her eye
    thanks for your comments.
    Craig
    Last edited by Craig Weir; 13th August 2012 at 12:04 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Craig!

I can’t even believe I’m saying this!

But Ophelia sure is a cutie! Something I never thought I’d hear myself say about a snake! I love her little button nose in #3.

My experience with snakes consist mostly of putting my hand on a Timber Rattler whilst climbing, or being attacked by a nest of Cotton Mouths while I was in the water! Stepping on a Copperhead while hiking, you know, happy stuff like that!

In fact, here in Missouri we have the deadly indigenous Rattle Headed Copper Moccasin! So deadly it can kill you just by looking at you!

Miss Ophelia seems like a charmer (pun intended)!

Nice work, Craig.

Hi Terry,
    glad you survived your snake encounterssssssss.
    She is definitely a cute snake.
    thanks for your comments.
    Craig =)

Real Name
    Mark

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Clever people, stupid people and then people who keep snakes!!

A university friend was of the third variety. He worked at a local snake park in South Africa. Somehow he ended up with a few Puff Adders and Spitting Cobras in his room. At the time the senior students often took it upon themselves to make first year student's lives a little difficult. Anyway to cut a long story short, after we got the snakes we never had too much trouble with the senior students. A few years later had 2 Cape Cobras loose in his room. I never felt too comfortable visiting him. I don't know whether any of you have seen Austin Stevens on Discovery Channel. He is a snake mad crazy man. Well, my friend used to work with Austin at the Transvaal Snake Park in the early 1980's. My late unlce once put a snake in the school desk of a pretty girl in his class. Apparently the snake made its way up out the inkwell and the rest is history.