Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Darwinia Macrostegia

Real Name
    Jason

Darwinia Macrostegia

Hi again,

This is a photo taken at the local botanical gardens in Canberra. I thought I would get a bit arty and put in a border and make it look like I know my flowers by including its name All C&C welcome.

Cheers

J

Darwinia Macrostegia

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Darwinia Macrostegia

Alwats good to sound as if you know what you're talking about!

The flowers and elaves that are the main subject have a lovely light on them and you've captured them with great clarity.

I wondered if the two very light out-of-focus area (one at the extreme left and one at the extreme right) are actually causing a major distraction and pulling our attention away from the main subject. Hide those (Put two pieces of paper over them) and look at it as 4:5 portrait crop or a 1:1 (square image) that crops out those two bright spots. Do you think it makes a difference?

Real Name
    Gretchen

Donald I see what you mean. It wasn't a distraction for me because I was enthralled by the brilliance of the red "fruit". Yes, I think it would be better cropped. Jason, this is just lovely, the background surrounding the main focal point is not a distraction. the balance between the in focus and the out of focus is perfect, IMHO. Just loverly!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I'd agree with Donald on the cropping. This is an excellent composition for a square crop. Really nice image!

Real Name
    Jason

Thank you all for you comments and feedback, I am glad you like it. I followed the advice and have redone the image in a 1:1 square. I have not bordered it or placed the name as I am unsure about how that looks with the new crop, I will have to do a couple of different version to see what I think.

Cheers

J

Darwinia Macrostegia