Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Maison Langlois - Quebec City

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Maison Langlois - Quebec City

Here is a shot I took in the fine old city of Québec a few weeks ago. I thought it typifies the French influence and I thought the mottled sunlight added a little interest. But what do others think - does it work ?

Comments welcome
    Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Maison Langlois - Quebec City

Yes it does. Most times, I feel we don't need to necessarily apply perspective correction to an image. But I wonder if, in this case, that would strengthen the picture. The window doesn't bother me at all, but the narrowing in of the door as it goes from bottom to top, is really distracting.

Be keen to read what others think.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The mottled light works especially well for me because it resembles the stone pattern in the wall. The colors work well also.

The perspective distortion doesn't bother me. I like it because it conveys a sense of height. However, I am uncomfortable that the sensor plane is not parallel with the wall, causing it to look skewed.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Dave

I like the capture very much, and love the lighting, colour, and textures. I really struggle with perspective distortion and when to adjust it. It may be one of the few things in the world that I am liberal about, but it really rarely bothers me except when severe - our brains are used to this and correct for it. I am quite comfortable with this degree

Kevin

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Donald, Mike and Kevin for your comments. I've applied some vertical perspective correction to eliminate the "taper" in the door and also a little horizontal perspective correction to satisfy Mike's concern. I think I've gone in the right direction with the horizontal perspective !

Dave

Very nice, Dave. I also like the pop that you added to the image.

Real Name
    John

Dave,
    it was certainly worth the effort, this it much improved IMO.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Mike and John for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I also like the pop that you added to the image.
    Mike the only change I made to the image was to add perspective correction using the Lens Correction Filter (added as a Smart Filter). I think I can see the extra "pop" - it might be due to the perspective correction placing more emphasis on the hanging pot of flowers which have been enlarged a bit due to the correction process. Also I had added a small amount of Local Contrast Enhancement to the image originally (as a smart filter) so this would have been re-applied after making the perspective correction.

Dave

Dave,

The difference in contrast and saturation throughout between the two images is immediately apparent to me. Check to determine if perhaps you saved the two images using a different color space. I don't think the Local Contrast Enhancement you mentioned would explain such a large difference between the two images, though I could be wrong. (My wife would be happy to reaffirm for you that I could be wrong. )
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 6th August 2012 at 01:12 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Dave,

The difference in contrast and saturation throughout between the two images is immediately apparent to me. Check to determine if perhaps you saved the two images using a different color space. I don't think the Local Contrast Enhancement you mentioned would explain such a large difference between the two images, though I could be wrong. (My wife would be happy to reaffirm for you that I could be wrong. )
    Mike I'll double check but as far as I'm aware, the two jpegs were saved in exactly the same way.

Dave

PS (ie Post Script) Default settings :

wife=correct
    husband=incorrect

These settings can be changed but not very often.
    Last edited by dje; 6th August 2012 at 02:14 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Dave - I really like the image too - definitely worth the effort to keep.

However - the differences in saturation and brightness are quite large on my computer screen too. I do like the second one better.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hi Dave - I really like the image too - definitely worth the effort to keep.

However - the differences in saturation and brightness are quite large on my computer screen too. I do like the second one better.
    Thanks Andrew

I'm going to have to try to get to the bottom of this difference. One thing I notice is that the file size of the second is 381KB and that of the first is 200KB, despite them both being about 400KB before loading onto TinyPic. (Is this starting to sound familiar ??) I don't usually use TinyPic but rather PBase so I might try that.

Dave

Edit: Here are the two images from PBase. How do they compare now ?

Last edited by dje; 6th August 2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Added PBase images

Real Name
    Paul

I say you went in the right direction as well. Nice image Dave.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I say you went in the right direction as well. Nice image Dave.
    Thanks Paul

Dave, a couple of issues that are adding confusion at least for me...

All of the images that you have uploaded here are in the Adobe RGB color space. I seem to remember that Internet Explorer 9, which I am using, is the first Microsoft browser that manages the color space. If you want earlier Internet Explorer users to see approximately the same colors, saturation, etc, that you want them to see, you should be saving your images intended for display on the Internet in the sRGB color space.

The third and fourth images that you uploaded here have the exact same file name. So, I'm not surprised that they look exactly alike. I wonder if you accidentally uploaded the same file twice.

The first image that you uploaded here is the one that looks different from the other three. Is it just a coincidence that that is also the only image of the four that I can't open in Nikon Capture NX2, which is my primary editor? Even so, I can open it in Photshop Elements 6. I'm stumped.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 6th August 2012 at 04:59 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Dave, a couple of issues that are adding confusion at least for me...

All of the images that you have uploaded here are in the Adobe RGB color space. I seem to remember that Internet Explorer 9, which I am using, is the first Microsoft browser that manages the color space. If you want earlier Internet Explorer users to see approximately the same colors, saturation, etc, that you want them to see, you should be saving your images intended for display on the Internet in the sRGB color space.

The third and fourth images that you uploaded here have the exact same file name. So, I'm not surprised that they look exactly alike. I wonder if you accidentally uploaded the same file twice.

The first image that you uploaded here is the one that looks different from the other three. Is it just a coincidence that that is also the only image of the four that I can't open in Nikon Capture NX2, which is my primary editor? Even so, I can open it in Photshop Elements 6. I'm stumped.
    Mike 3 and 4 are different files - 145223868/original.jpg and 145223898/original.jpg (68 and 98)

For some reason, the first file I uploaded in TinyPic ended up smaller than the second (200KB compared to 381KB) despite the two originals being much the same around 400MB. So I am blaming TinyPic for this !!

Thank you for pointing out the use of Adobe colour space. I can see that the check box for this is checked in the Save As dialogue box (CS5) and I hadn't noticed this before. I'm afraid my knowledge of colour spaces is totally inadequate and I must brush up on this.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Mike 3 and 4 are different files - 145223868/original.jpg and 145223898/original.jpg
    That makes sense, Dave, and I feel a lot better now. When I saved them to my computer, the filenames were the same -- original.jpg -- which is understandable now.