Thread: Lost.Bobber

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Lost.Bobber

Look forward to your comments.

Lost.Bobber

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Re: Lost.Bobber

I assume the lost bobber is that red and white object in the water, which is used to show when a fish is hooked on a line. Unfortunately it is not obvious in this composition. My eye searches for something to look at in this image and continues to move along the log and into the reeds, but never stops moving. If the bobber is the main subject, you might want to zoom in on it so that if fills a much greater portion of the frame. You might also try another view where the reeds do not obstruct the view. Don't know if you could have gotten out into the water and shot along the log or towards the log withe reeds in background. Keep trying.

No, I couldn't get out into to the lake to take a shot from another angle. I'll try your suggestion and crop the picture so that greater focus is on the bobber. Thanks.

Cropped photo to give bobber greater prominence.

Lost.Bobber

Real Name
    Gretchen

I like the first picture. I just like the overall composition and the angle of the branch separating the water and grass area. The bobber is just another interesting part of the photo. Everything is in focus and the perspective is awesome!!!. I also think the bobber is better balanced in the first pic. Most people would probably not find this kind of shot appealing, but I love it.

Thanks for the feedback.. My tendency is to take pictures like the first one I posted. For me at least, sometimes this approach works and sometimes I leave the viewer not knowing what to focus on. I agree with you in this case, I think I like the first shot better.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

This goes to to show that people have different preferences and none of us are "right".

I'm not trying to justify my point of view, just clarify that with the title being "Lost Bobber", I was expecting to see a more prominent lost bobber. When I mentioned cropping as a possibility, I was thinking a closer crop, such as this.

Lost.Bobber

Now that I see what I was thinking of, it doesn't work so well.

If you like the view you started with, all the better. That is more important than what anyone else thinks.

Ken, I think the picture's title -- which is correct, the bobber was lost -- might set up misleading expectations on the part of the viewer.