Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Untitled

Real Name
    Andrew

Untitled

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted, but I've still been shooting. Just thought I'd fire one up to see what everyone thought, and say 'Hi' again.

I was trying to capture something a little edgy, with an interesting composition. Not sure if you'll like it, but c + c would be greatly appreciated - as always. Thanks!

Untitled

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Untitled

I like it Andew, nice expression, nice composition.

I would suggest to reduce the highlights in the background to keep the attention more on to the main subject.

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    I like it Andew, nice expression, nice composition.

I would suggest to reduce the highlights in the background to keep the attention more on to the main subject.
    Yes that was my first thoughts.

And I wonder about cropping around 4 x 5 ratio to reduce the left hand space. But I fear that could actually accentuate the 'rear end' which is there.

Possibly running a light blur brush around the left edge would help to reduce the little bit of grainy noise.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The brightness of the background doesn't bother me, depending on the story you want to tell (which is a common theme in my posts). As it is, I like that both women are about the same size and build and are dressed similiarly and that they seem oblivious to the subject's existence and vice versa; the image cleverly shows this duality. For me, that also fits in with your desire for an edgy look.

To add more edginess, consider adding grain.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I have played around with it a little more - as I kind of like this one myself. I've left the crop the same, and I decided to leave the highlighted areas as they are. I'm really starting to like blown out backgrounds to accentuate the subject rather than darks. I did take Geoff's advice to blur the left side, and it made an improvement.

How is my conversion? Can you think of anything else I may try?? Thanks again for the help!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I think it's a good conversion, though I don't have much experience making or reviewing conversions that are portraits.

Real Name
    Brian

For me the most contrast is in the background, which does detract from the subject. I would try increasing the contrast on the subject. I did this by selecting the man and using the curves tool. You could do more with changing the background too, but this just give you an idea of how I see the image. Note - I realize I tend to want to overexpose subjects, so this is afterall a matter of taste and your vision for this image.

Untitled

Real Name
    Andrew

Good suggestion Brian - I'm going to give that a try in a minute. I'm still playing with this image, because I would like to file it under 'keepers', I'm just not 100% sold yet.

On another note, here's a copy of it loaded from Smugmug, with a lot less noise, and little more sharpness.

Untitled