Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An impressionistic view of day lillies

Real Name
    Dan

An impressionistic view of day lillies

Decided to try something different, following up on an idea I got in a workshop by Charles Needle. C&C welcome.

For anyone interested in how I did this: the original shot was a reflection of the wall and flowers in a shallow pool. I inverted it to get the flowers pointed up. The texture, apart from movement of the water, is from overlaying a shot of a slab of granite, blended with linear light and fairly low opacity.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Re: An impressionistic view of day lillies

The advantages of viewing on an iPad -I can turn it upside down to see what yor mean. I would never have known this was a inverted reflection if you had not mentioned it. I find the reflection of what I assume to be a tree on the right a bit distracting. I kept focusing on it trying to figure out why it looked abit odd, like it was growing into a backdrop. Otherwise I really like this. Especially the contrast of the bright flowers against the darker blues and greens of the background. Very creative. What was the subject of the workshop?

DanK,

This was very cool! Photographing the reflection and then inverting it was a very creative idea. I could imagine how the textures from the water could give a very impressionistic appeal. And then overlaying a shot of a slab of granite was a very cool way to add texture. In my oppinion, the beauty of this image was actually in the method that you used to capture it.

- Jacob

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the comments. The workshop was primarily about creative macro work--e.g., photographing the reflection of a flower on textured, colored glass rather than straight on--but we did a few hours of field work as well. Charles recommended that when you see an interesting texture in the field, take a shot and store it for possible use as a background. I'll post below one of my attempts from the workshop. The background in this case is pebbles on a walkway.

Re the birch on the right: I wanted it there for several compositional reasons, but it's all a matter of taste.

Here's the workshop photo. Not so good, but it illustrates the technique.