Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Couple From Yesterday...Laughing Gull

Real Name
    Joe

A Couple From Yesterday...Laughing Gull

This is a common bird along coastal Florida. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: A Couple From Yesterday...Laughing Gull

Although all three images are outstanding, I feel that the Gull is more photogenic in flight than sitting and you have captured that very well.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree that that is a very, very good image of the bird in flight. A difficult challenge in terms of exposure has been managed very well and you seem to have it pin-sharp. Good work.

For some reason, birds which are looking straight at the camera never seem to look as good as side shots. Good feather detail in the close up.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Although all three images are outstanding, I feel that the Gull is more photogenic in flight than sitting and you have captured that very well.
    Hello Frank, I agree the gulls are wonderful to photograph in flight, so graceful using their wings to twist and turn following the gusts of wind. Thank you for your viewing and comment.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I agree that that is a very, very good image of the bird in flight. A difficult challenge in terms of exposure has been managed very well and you seem to have it pin-sharp. Good work.
    Hello Donald, thank you for your comment and critique. Florida is blessed with almost every town along the coast having a fishing pier. Every pier has gulls and pelicans. That provides a wonderful oppurtunity to practice technique. Although about an hour drive from where we live in central Florida, my wife and I go there often because we love the ocean and gulf. Thanks again for taking the time to view and comment.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For some reason, birds which are looking straight at the camera never seem to look as good as side shots. Good feather detail in the close up.
    Hello Geoff, thanks for taking the time to view and comment. I agree with your comment about a bird facing head on rather than in profile. I shoot so many in profile that it seems like a nice break to have a different viewpoint. As for the feather detail, after 10,000 images I am finally mastering the technique. I saw the detail that Steve gets in his hummingbirds and worked to try to achieve the same in other birds.