Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Picininni Creek, The Bungle Bungles, WA

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Picininni Creek, The Bungle Bungles, WA

I took this serious of stitched photos hoping to get a strong foreground with the dome formations of the Bungle Bungles being the subject. I was hoping to sell this image as a landscape with a few others but wanted some constructive criticism first. In particular on the Post Production. Your C&C are appreciated.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Picininni Creek, The Bungle Bungles, WA

Look at the big version and that is a gorgeous image.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

I agree that its a gorgeous image. I wonder if you need to try and even the colour of the sky a bit. The roght side looks distinctly darker than the left and unless its my monitor I believe there are some veritical lines present where the photos may have been stiched? - Can you share your technique on this? - How many photos were used? Overall it's really well done

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks Bobo and Helen, There is a difference in the sky but that is OK for me. The light has just started to come over the hill at sunrise and is hitting the left hand side of the image face on with the right hand side coming at an angle. There are still some lines to work on which will take some time. I'm worried that the foreground may dominate the picture too much. The teqhnique is to pan slowly and keep the camera at a consistent level and simply open in photo stitch. The software does the rest but there is always some PP.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It is a superbly well crafted and composed image.

However, I'm seeing very distinct vertical strips right across the sky from left to right, with a very strong one that heralds a stark change in tone just right on top of that high point on the hills just left of centre.

I can't explain what may be causing that. I'm seeing at least 14 quite clear strips, fairly equally spaced out.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It is a superbly well crafted and composed image.

However, I'm seeing very distinct vertical strips right across the sky from left to right, with a very strong one that heralds a stark change in tone just right on top of that high point on the hills just left of centre.

I can't explain what may be causing that. I'm seeing at least 14 quite clear strips, fairly equally spaced out.
    Thank you Donald, the horizontal strips are (I think) caused by the light cloud and the morning sun coming at such a low angle. I will get to work on the sky line and getting rid of the stitch joins and repost it shortly. Nice to get good feedback on the composition.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I have worked on the stitch lines as best I could. Does anyone have any techniques which would assist with this? I have also cropped it a little tighter to balance the foreground with the subject. Your critique is appreciated.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wayne

You've only posted this second version at a small size (640 pixels on the long edge), so it's difficult to see exactly what the effect is, but it looks as if it's a lot better.