Thread: Early morning through the window

Real Name
    Gary

Early morning through the window

I noticed this a couple of times in the morning when the sun was rising. Shadows were cast on the window/curtain from the rising sun. These were from the plants outside on the patio. The image was shot through the curtain which has softened the whole image. When I looked at the image in PP it gave me the feeling of a painting. Interested to hear any thoughts.

Cheers for now

Gary

Early morning through the window
    Last edited by oldgreygary; 26th July 2012 at 07:25 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Early morning through the window

I strongly believe that one of the primary skills of the photographer is in seeing the image that is there to be made in the first place. So many people would not even register what you saw and decided to photograph.

It reminds me of one of Sharon's (Daisy Mae) textured images.

A good idea, well-executed.

I wonder what the effect would have been if you'd been able to pull the curtain at each end so that you took out the folds (particularly those two strong verticals in the right-hand half of the frame) and just had a smooth sheet of curtain in place?

Real Name
    Gary

Donald, thanks for your reply and comments. I see what you mean about the folds. It's a short space of time in which the right conditions occur and that's something I didn't think about. I will try and smooth out the curtain and re-shoot the image when conditions occur again.

Cheers for now

Gary

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It reminds me of one of Sharon's (Daisy Mae) textured images.
    That was exactly my immediate thought.

I think the image will be far less interesting if you eliminate the folds but I look forward to being proven wrong about that.

Perhaps the point is that you have discovered a relatively small blip in time each day, and only this time of year, when you can take advantage of the natural light that produces this effect. Take advantage of it by using various shutter speeds, aperture settings, exposures, etc to produce a creative image that moves you. Perhaps it will move others as well.

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks for your reply Mike, yes trying different settings is a good idea. As I think that there are opportunities to get different results which would be interesting.

Cheers for now

Gary