Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rabid Wolf Spider

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Rabid Wolf Spider

Why this seemingly innocuous house spider has such a fierce name, I can't tell you, although she was pretty irritated by my attempts to photograph her. After a while of chasing her round the light box, round the kitchen, up the hall, back round the light box all the while beating off the cats, I finally got her to sit still for long enough to get 7 shots to stack; I find with those long legs, I cannot get her all in focus any other way. I feel that I could have done better, so any tips would be appreciated.

Rabid Wolf Spider

D7000, 1/30s, f22, ISO 400. I had four lights angled on top and sides of box, and still had to use my on camera flash to get the white near enough to correct in PS, but that's another story!
    Last edited by gilliebg; 24th July 2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: correction

Re: Rabid Wolf Spider

That is good for a spider, Gillie. Very difficult to get sufficient stability and lack of subject movement for multiple shots of a live spider.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thanks Geoff. There was a great deal of patience involved, not my best quality! Gillie

Real Name
    Luc (Pronounced "Luke")

Error on my part : looking at your photo with my gf watching over my shoulder. She ran away.

Great photo. I hope to get there some day!

Real Name
    Tommy

How big was she? I think I would actually die if I saw one of those in my house.

From a photographic point of view, you have clearly done very well, after the cat and mouse chase, to get her to sit still and pose for your photos. I like the pose too, it's a good angle.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Sorry Luc! I hope the gf came back again! Tommy, the spider is about 1/4 of this size, and totally harmless. They like to live indoors, and don't build webs. Thanks for your comments