Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: please judge this photo

Real Name
    Samir Ray

please judge this photo

Dear All,
    I've taken up camera again and started shooting nature and social life. But learning editing has been a big task for me. Please give an over all judgement on the attached photo I shall be greatful.

regards
    samir
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: please judge this photo

For me there's not much to comment on here Samir. A questionable subject, no foreground, middle is flat and plain, nothing to focus on. Comments you can use for development will need photos that contain more visuals that people can respond to you on. If you want help with editing, choose photos you've had a hard time with and still feel they need to be better.

That image is a bit on the small side to examine closely, Samir.

As far as I can tell it looks acceptable with good focus and exposure.

Composition, as Andrew said, is possibly a little bland but you have probably made the most of that particular scene. I can't really suggest any alternatives.

Possibly try a little Local Contrast Enhancement (say Unsharp Mask at 30% and 40 pixels or thereabouts) to boost the contrast but I'm not sure it would make that much difference.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

It was a hand held shot. used nikon D3100 sensor1.5 crop and kit lens "poor mans equipment". Learning to edit in Lightroom yet to start with PS. I'll post a larger file and request you to give suggestions.

Real Name
    Samir Ray

THank for feed back you people give a lot of insight.

Real Name
    Joshua

As already stated, the composition is a bit on the bland side. A stronger foreground element would be of benefit, as well as some more interesting cloud development. While the lighting isn't bad, you could potentially make this picture pop with more interesting lighting, and as I said, some more interesting clouds. The main thing that I see to draw the eye is the small island in the center left, and then my eye was pulled to the curve of the shoreline which I did find interesting. Unfortunately it just wasn't interesting enough.