Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Boston Street Performer

Real Name
    Matt

Boston Street Performer

This was taken of a street performer in Boston. This is my very first attempt at selective color of a B&W version. C&C always appreciated. Thanks, Matt.

Boston Street Performer

Boston Street Performer

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Boston Street Performer

Nice job of selectively selecting part of the image.

I would prefer that the entire performer, his ladder and the miniature table setting were in color. That would emphasize that the surrounding audience is viewing the performance. As it is now, your image seems to be telling one story and your post-processing seems to be telling a different story that is unclear to me.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I would prefer that the entire performer, his ladder and the miniature table setting were in color. That would emphasize that the surrounding audience is viewing the performance. As it is now, your image seems to be telling one story and your post-processing seems to be telling a different story that is unclear to me.
    Thanks Mike, Here is a revised version. What do you think?

Boston Street Performer

It really depends on the story that you want to tell, Matt. This version effectively shows that the performer is high above the ground. Perhaps allowing the ladder and/or the miniature table setting would tell different stories. Regardless, this version makes sense to me, whereas your first version didn't.

EDIT: It's actually possible that the miniature table setting and/or the ladder are in color. It seems that the top of the table is indeed in color. (Providing a larger image in the future would make it easier to determine this issue.) If that's the case, there seems to be insufficient separation between those areas in color and the black-and-white areas. You could increase separation by digitally changing the color of the objects, though that might require more of an effort than you can jusitify.

Just a thought, Matt. If the crowd isn't important to you, I would experiment with cropping to a different size ratio. Something like 4 x 5 ratio (portrait) would make the ladder look taller. And you could still retain one pillar.

Personally, it virtually always has to be either pure B&W with good contrast or full colour for me.

Real Name
    Matt

Thank you Geoff and Mike.

Mike: yes the ladder and little table are in color but do not really have much color to them.

Goeff: I too prefer full color. I was just doing this as an experiment of the feature to see what can be done and what would be appealing to a another viewer. I am brand new to dslr photography and post processing.

Matt,

Even if you never use selective coloring again, the technique that you used to select only the parts of the image that are to appear in color will be used over and over again to selectively treat your images in other ways. You did a masterful job, so much so that I'm really surprised that you're new to postprocessing.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks again, Mike. While I am new to post processing (purchased Aperture a week ago) I am skilled with computers. Just learning how to put my computer skills to work with photography. (and finding it extremely fun)

Matt