Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My 1st shot of cutting and pasting onto a background

My 1st shot of cutting and pasting onto a background

This was an experiment of cutting my dog out of a photo and pasting her onto a Photoshop background. It was rather fun to do. Hope you enjoy it! C&C Welcome please.

Don in TX

Last edited by DonTX; 21st July 2012 at 07:04 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: My 1st shot of cutting and pasting onto a background

Don,
    well done on giving this a go. I think you have done a reasonable job, is this your 1st attempt at this kind of PP?

Just one comment from me what happened in the area I've marked (below), I'm not sure what's going on here, but it does not right to me.
    Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards.

Yes, it was the first time I've tried separating out a subject from a photo. The area you circled was a space between her ear and her head.. Thank you for the input.

Real Name
    Brian

Good job Don. This is something I have been working on lately also. I am good with simple shapes but struggle with complex/random edges (using GIMP).

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Good job Don. This is something I have been working on lately also. I am good with simple shapes but struggle with complex/random edges (using GIMP).
    I admire you both, this type of PP is extremely hard, but can pay enormous dividends once you have mastered it.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Much better than my first attempts with this. What technique did you use for making the selection? I always find that it's the stray bits of fur that cause the problems. Sometimes for those bits I find it's almost better to go for a smoother line and feather rather than try and capture every sharp edge. As an example - on the left ear at about mouth level. Having said that this is really good for a first attempt.

Thank you all for the comments. HMW, I used PSE10 and the Topaz Remask plugin to help. There it was a bit of small selections with feathering that helped capture her fur.

Don in TX