Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Limpkin...

Real Name
    Joe

Limpkin...

This large brown and white bird is unique to Florida fresh water marshes and wetlands. It is very vocal with it's squeeches heard across the marsh. It feeds on the large freshwater Apple Snails, but will also eat other things such as frogs, bugs and lizards. C&C welcomed. Thank you for viewing.

Limpkin...

Limpkin...

Limpkin...

Limpkin...

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Limpkin...

All great shots, but I have to say the third one was a Wow shot for me. I'm not much qualified for C&C but as a viewer, I really liked that one. I like the angle of his head and the focus really brought me right to his eyes.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    All great shots, but I have to say the third one was a Wow shot for me. I'm not much qualified for C&C but as a viewer, I really liked that one. I like the angle of his head and the focus really brought me right to his eyes.
    Thanks Terri, I appreciate your viewing and commenting. I kind of like #3 also, it was an interesting angle to be able to photograph the bird.

Real Name
    Bobo

Very harsh light there my friend. Excellent captures giving the conditions. I like 3 and 4 better due to less of the bright surroundings. Maybe you can try reducing the green saturation and brightness of the green/yellow to get that background in check?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

#3 is clearly the most interesting and dramatic for me. I'd like to see you tone down the background by darkening and/or desaturating it to give even more attention to the fascinating subject.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Bobo and Mike, I appreciate your commenting and offering advise on how to make my images better. In the images posted below I have tried to apply your suggestions. Thank you both for giving me suggestions to work on, a great benefit of the people who are members of this forum.

Limpkin...

Limpkin...

Limpkin...

The second revision of #3 works to some extent, but notice that the background now actually has more contrast than the first one. That contrast is distracting. If you could work with the revised background but reduce the contrast, I think you'll have a much improved image. Perhaps do that by selecting the highlights in the background and tone them down quite a bit.

Also consider warming up the background a bit, as the new bluish tone is cold and doesn't complement the warm tones of the bird.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The second revision of #3 works to some extent, but notice that the background now actually has more contrast than the first one. That contrast is distracting. If you could work with the revised background but reduce the contrast, I think you'll have a much improved image. Perhaps do that by selecting the highlights in the background and tone them down quite a bit.

Also consider warming up the background a bit, as the new bluish tone is cold and doesn't complement the warm tones of the bird.
    Thanks Mike for your continued comments. I agree with what you write. Actually I did have different versions and posted the wrong one. I think the one posted below is more what you have in mind. If you would let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Limpkin...

Yes! This is exactly the concept I was imagining.

One last thing: Notice the part of the image where the edges of the bird meet the background. In all areas except the head and part of the beak, there is a soft halo that might have been caused by your use of a brush during post-processing. It also may be just a coincidence that that halo effect is in the image. It's a bit distracting to me and would be fairly easy to correct by darkening the halo a bit.