Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stack gone wrong

Real Name
    Bobo

Stack gone wrong

What was supposed to become a 4 images stack instead came out as a pano. Imagine my surprise. Had never ever crossed my mind that insects could be pano'd.

These were going to be the last of the dragons for a while but must now, must do another pano before going on to another subject.

Manual focus, 1/200, f8, ISO 800, 150 macro + 1.4TC + 12mm extension tube.
    Stack gone wrong

Close crop of head area.
    Stack gone wrong

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Stack gone wrong

Hi all.

After the pano surprise wore off, re-did it as a pano and partial stack. The eyes come out better this way. Amazing how just a little pp can advance a shot.

Next thing to try is obviously a pano and full stack so that everything is sharp and to include the whole wing.

Crop of the head area.
    Stack gone wrong

Full size.
    To see at full size go here and click on magnifying glass icon.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1112784...75279757823330

Stack gone wrong

Now the questions:
    How does it look?
    What areas need improvement and why?
    What did I miss?
    What did I do incorrectly?
    What should I try to achieve if this was to be reshot?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 18th July 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Bobo, I cannot help you with answers to your questions as I only use a super telephoto lens for my closeups relying on depth of field for showing detail rather than stacking images. I find that the 5 foot +/- distance needed to focus spooks the criters less than being closer. I wonder how one could change the focus on different areas for stacking with dragons because they stay still for such a short period. Regarding the crop of the head there are areas I would expect to be in sharp detail with stacking. The second image of the full body dragon would be better if the wings were in sharp detail. I guess it goes back to that I am old school beginning my photography when there was only film and slides with no digital photography or software to enable staking etc.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bobo. I've done several Pano/Stack combos and they usually work out pretty good when you plan ahead.

I'm not sure how you would keep a live subject still enough for long enough to accomplish the goal but I can see where you could randomly make some exciting progress based on your subject's cooperation!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Joe for taking the time to comment.

Yes the tend to move away pretty fast so trying to get another will be a challenge in itself.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank - what was it that made me think of stacking in the first place ???

The dragon was quite happy to let me get within inches but not sure about the future. If I meet a similar situation will do things somewhat differently.

Due to the fact he might move off, I decided to sacrifice shots of the wings. With afterthought, not a good decision. Should have at least taken one of the near wing.

As can be seen from the head crop of the larger image, there are parts at the back which are not all that sharp. That is probably a DOF issue due to the proximity of lens to subject that might be fixed with say f11 or f16. That shot was already ISO 800 @f8, 1/200, hand held, natural light so if say f11, f16 was to be used there will be lighting challenges too. Flash maybe but.....

Grrrrrr....... why do I get myself into such situations ?????

Real Name
    Frank Miller

LOL! Part of the learning process. Enjoy the journey.

Real Name
    Bobo

I do but have way too little knowledge to do things well.