Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally!

Real Name
    Paul

Finally!

Well today I decided after 12hrs watching the Pied Billed Grebes yesterday, that I would stay home today. Wouldn't ya know it....I am in the middle of dinner and get a call.....they are hatching!

2 minutes later I am in the jeep headed out, hoping there will be some light left. Well it was 3 hrs past the best light but I did the best I could and was happy to have gone.

The first two shots were made yesterday during the 12 hr wait for the hatchlings that waited til today. =}

Finally!

Finally!

And now for what I have been waiting three weeks for. Dad feeding the hrs old youngin a stickle back.
    Finally!

The young ride under moms wing both on the water and in the nest.
    Finally!

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Finally!

As I'm reading your post, not yet knowing how the story unfolds, I can see the picture of the raccoon. Did you do that on purpose to scare us all? I thought you were going to say the raccoon ate the eggs! So I'm glad to scroll down and see these beautiful shots of these hatchlings and their parents. (I did, by the way, love the first picture of the raccoon. The blades of grass just framed its face. Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Terri, no that was not my intention. I just figured rather than put those two from yesterday in another post I would slip them in here. I did worry afterward that it may confuse someone who did not read before viewing.

Real Name
    Joe

Wow Paul those are great shots. Looks like the wait paid off finally. Are there just 2 hatchlings? Looking forward to seeing your shots of their growth.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Joe, just two at the moment. There are two more eggs ready to go. One egg was lost to an invading male. He tried to take over the nest and threw one in the lake, but got his butt kicked by the origonal male.

Real Name
    Bobo

The virtues of patience never fail to give good outcomes. Congrats "daddy". Nicely shot too.

I suppose we will get some updates as they grow up?

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Bobo, I will see what I can do. They stay on the nest only 6-12 days or there close. Once off the nest they tend to disapear. They are still small an at risk so they are fairly secretive and shy. I will stop in and get shots when I can.

Wonderful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great captures. Thanks for letting me enjoy them.