Thread: Inspired by a thread started by FrankMi....

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Inspired by a thread started by FrankMi....

(Here is the link to the thread) I used a similar picture that I took a while back, and decided to have a little fun with it, before I thrash it.

Adjusted in LR:

And here is a play on it: I have a copy of Knoll Light Factory, but haven't had a serious use for it. I just rediscoverd it, and used it on this picture.
    Did it improve the picture? Or did I completely ruin it?
    Either way, I don't believe it's a keeper, but it was a nice exercise (in futility).

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Re: Inspired by a thread started by FrankMi....

I think the second version is more interesting than the first. As you yourself suggested, it is probably not a keeper, but, I think it could still be improved with some cropping. If you cut off the right 1/5 of the dark foliage, you would have the byproduct of putting the lamp off center. You could probably crop some more of the foliage to better focus attention on the subject and the sky. The question remains: if it isn't a keeper, why bother with further futility?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    I think the second version is more interesting than the first. As you yourself suggested, it is probably not a keeper, but, I think it could still be improved with some cropping. If you cut off the right 1/5 of the dark foliage, you would have the byproduct of putting the lamp off center. You could probably crop some more of the foliage to better focus attention on the subject and the sky. The question remains: if it isn't a keeper, why bother with further futility?
    Practice!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I am honored, Kris. Thank you for the reference!

Good for you for taking a go at learning something new. For me, this image would be a keeper if for no other reason than it is an excellent example of the milestones you are passing as your skill dramatically improves! Some day you will come back to this picture with a soft smile of contentment as you recall the exciting journey of discovery.

Every time I post-process, whether it is a keeper or not, I improve in two areas. First, my post processing technique gets better and second, by taking the time to really examine the image, I clearly see a lot of the elements that could have been improved in the composition. The net result is that I learn how to get it better 'in-camera' with every post processing effort. I feel sorry for those that aren't interested in post processing their images as they severely limit their photography 'technique' learning and miss out on so much.

I agree with Larry that putting the Lamp just a bit more off-center would make the image more interesting.

Real Name

and a 1x1 crop. (Just to see what it would look like)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I am honored, Kris. Thank you for the reference!

Good for you for taking a go at learning something new. For me, this image would be a keeper if for no other reason than it is an excellent example of the milestones you are passing as your skill dramatically improves! Some day you will come back to this picture with a soft smile of contentment as you recall the exciting journey of discovery.

Every time I post-process, whether it is a keeper or not, I improve in two areas. First, my post processing technique gets better and second, by taking the time to really examine the image, I clearly see a lot of the elements that could have been improved in the composition. The net result is that I learn how to get it better 'in-camera' with every post processing effort. I feel sorry for those that aren't interested in post processing their images as they severely limit their photography 'technique' learning and miss out on so much.

I agree with Larry that putting the Lamp just a bit more off-center would make the image more interesting.
    Another thing I now realize is that I should have taken this picture from a lower angle, instead of just standing up in front of the pole.
    Anyway, I tried Larry's suggestion:
    And just for the fun of it: a 1x1 as wll

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Particularly in the square crop, the details of the lamp really rivet your attention and the use of positive and negative space provide a river of directional flow that leads your eye around the image and back to the subject. Very well done, Kris! To me this is now a solid keeper and IMHO, better than my image!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 13th July 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Very well done, Kris! To me this is now a solid keeper an IMHO, better than my image!
    Now Frank, this makes my day!

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Yes, I like the square crop, too. It gives the sky some more room in the frame and the light cloud streams become a secondary subject. I might lift the shadows a touch to get some more of a feeling of green in the foliage and a little less black--especially since there is a lamp there.