Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lunch Time..CC please

Lunch Time..CC please

These are two pictures I took when we went cherrry picking. It was a move and try and get a picture before they moved on. It was an overcast day and they were under a very big walnut tree. So they were really in the shade.
    Original Picture 1

Lunch Time..CC please

Iamge 1 with some PP and cropping
    Lunch Time..CC please

Image 2 Original
    Lunch Time..CC please

Image 2 PP and cropping.
    Lunch Time..CC please

I am wondering if there is any way to make these more then just snapshots.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lunch Time..CC please

Those were a couple of very heavy crops that you were having to make Muriel. Don't know what you were shooting with, but you were always going to lose some quality with such a heavy crop.

I think the second one is a much better image from a compositional point of view. The mother has her head up is, I think, the main plus point.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Muriel, a Canon 7D. Why shoot with ISO 1000? Did you keep an eye on the histogram? White balance manual, why?

Real Name
    Miltos

An excellent photographic opportunity nicely executed. Indeed the last one is wonderful, just the right pose. I also like the green leaves framing although they also cover the ears.

It looks like Muriel was shooting at the maximum focal length of his lens, 105mm = 168 mm equivalent. I guess in cases like these you don't want to get closer to your subject and probably a longer lens was not available.

As Andre mentioned you could have chosen a lower ISO with a larger aperture (eg 5.6) for a better isolation of the subject.
    Last edited by MilT0s; 11th July 2012 at 09:46 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Muriel, you seem to have used different post-processing and/or exposure on the two images. The result is more detail in the first image, though as Donald mentions, I prefer the pose in the second one. If you could bring out the detail in the second one that you achieved in the first one, you might like it better.

Thank you all for cc for me.
    Donald. There was a fence and I was as close as I could get. And the lens was as far as it would go.

Andre As to 1000 I thought there was so much shade that I would need the added light.
    As far as the 7 D that was the first day I tried that Camera. It is my borthers. I was using it like my 40D. Also I didn't know that white balance was manual I thought I had it on cloudy ( I don't even know what white balance manual is. I will have to look that up in the book.

Miltos Thank you your explanitions were right as above. I thought 5.6 would give me to shallow of depth of field.
    So much to learn.

Mike you are right. I had done a high pass on the top one but forgot on the second. I also like the second better but somewhat like the lines of her checking her little ones on the first.
    Here is the second with the high pass but it seems to have created too much noise. I guess it boils down to get closer or get a new lens. LOL just got that one so will have to save a bit for another.

Thank you all so much for checking this out for me
    Lunch Time..CC please

Real Name
    Bobo

Actually a very good set Muriel.

You did sound a bit discouraged in your response to Mike. The suggestions above are meant to be helpful and have nothing to do with the lens or equipment. Remember we were not there and can only assume what might be a good setting to use.

That said, a 105 lens is a bit short for wildlife.

You will get the hang of things pretty quickly and from what I have seen so far, you will get there pretty quick. Just keep at it.

Bobo not discouraged just determined... I have had that camera for several years and cannont believe how much I have learned in the last few weeks.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Muriel, me again.
    I am adding a link for you, hope it will help. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/11
    This link will lead you to a review on the 7D. In the review you will find a lot of helpful info about what button does what.

I am not knowledgable enough to lead you as to how to use your camera but I will share the little knowlede I have.
    What I have learned is to set up a default mode for my camera. Like ISO 100, WB Auto, etc.
    When going out to shoot I always (or rather almost always) reset my camera to default. It is as important as checking that you have a memory card in your camera. If I now have to ajust any setting I only ajust what I think is needed to ajust. That way I do not end up shooting with WB set to maybe fluorecent, in broad daylight.

You got good shots here Muriel, why not do it again, with different settings and see the result?

Hope the 7D shooters will jump in to assist you.

Real Name
    randy

This shot must have bestowed some sort of blessing upon me; Yesterday after viewing this image, I witnessed the same scene. Unfortunately, I travelling 45mph on the cloverleaf!!

Andre. Thanks for the link I will check it out. LOL I would love to shoot it again. If the deer would pose for me again. However I do like the idea of setting the personal default mode. I can see that I can do that with my camera. Will set that as my next goal.

Randy....strange how things happen. I know driving I often spot something and wish I could just whip that camera out.
    They would probably give us a ticket for photodriving.