Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Project 52 by Muriel B.

Project 52 by Muriel B.

Week 27 (my first week)
    I wan't to use this Challenge as a leaning goal. Each week I want to learn at least on new thing using my camera or Photoshop in PP.
    This first week I actually had two pictures and I couldn't make up my mind but I will use this one as I actually learned more in the process of taking this picture
    Project 52 by Muriel B.

I learned how to use the manual setting Blub. And how to use my remote shutter control.
    I did use it but had difficutly in that it would start taking pictures when I pressed the button but when I let up it would not stop until I pressed it a second time to get it to release. I missed many good shots becasue of that.
    Also it seemed as when I opened the shutter and left it open it didnot record later fireworks burst as I thought it should have. So I guess I have to say I have not learned....but am learning how to use it.

I was using a 40D canon,EF 24-105 L Lens,( don't have lens that reaches farther) a tripod, Studio RPS wireless shutter release.
    The information on this Photo F/16 , ISO 100, Focal Length 105 and Exposure Mode Manual

The problem I had was 1 Knowing how long to hold the button down. I would adjust the F stops ( Started with f9 and that was too far open) I din't know how long I should leave the shutter openeither. So I was just guesstamating...

I am pleased with the above photo...But I took LOTS of pictures and don't have many that I like.
    However this is the first time I have ever gotten anything I would consider using in something.

Thanks for any CC
    Last edited by Muriel; 8th July 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Daves request

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Project 52 by Muriel B.

Hi Muriel,

I have added this thread to the Master Index and FAQ thread.

If you tell us which camera (and remote shutter release) you have, someone may be able to assist with your 'learning how' bit, because even if you have read the manual, sometimes it doesn't contain all you need to know

Good luck with your P52 thread,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Muriel,

I have added this thread to the Master Index and FAQ thread.

If you tell us which camera (and remote shutter release) you have, someone may be able to assist with your 'learning how' bit, because even if you have read the manual, sometimes it doesn't contain all you need to know

Good luck with your P52 thread,
    I thought I replied to this but I must have hit enter instead of post
    I was using my 40D camera, Tripod, Ef 24-105 f4f/4L Us USm Lens, and a Studio -rps wireless shutter release.

Dave thanks for adding me to the list.

Week 28
    Skill worked on. Converting to Black and White.
    This is the first time I feel I have been success ful at this.

Project 52 by Muriel B.

Picture taken with my Canon 40D, EF 50MM f/1:1.4
    F/5.6, 1/50, ISO 200 focal length 50mm

Thanks for looking.

Real Name
    Mary

Good capture. I like the pose. You nailed the focus on the eyes- good job. There is a dark area behind the head that is a little distracting- but I'm being picky. I like it alot.Keep at it.

Mary you are right. Though that happens to be the spot at his tail. I forgot to take that out on this picture.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Muriel,

If I were to be picky too, I'd suggest it might have been just a touch blown in a few highlights, but that could have occurred during PP.

I also wondered about losing 5% off the top edge of the crop?
    (just so the hairs on his right ear almost touch the edge of frame)

That said there is far more 'right' than 'wrong' about it; good focus and sharpening to name but two.

Cheers,

Here is the redo. I removed the spot and cropped it closer. Thanks for the CC.
    Project 52 by Muriel B.

Week 29
    A planned photo was the goal for this week.
    I planned but it did not quite work out as I planned.
    We drove up to MT Lassen Park. I wanted to get there when the lake would be still for the reflextion.
    Discovered that the best laid plans sometime do not work out as you expected.
    There was already some ripple but the sun was just hitting the mountian. So if I had gotten there earlier the sun would not been on the mt. So I did the best I could.
    The first picture I tried HDR...I like the picture but felt I needed more sky and my lens only went to 24mm and I could not move back. So when I came back by the spot of the first picture I stopped and did a two shot photo and merged it in photoshop. I got the better composition but lost some of the clairty of the reflection.
    I will try again next year when we go back.
    Camera.. 40d Canon, zoom lens EF 24-105 ,Tripod.
    Image one...First one taken... Tried HDR on this image.
    Project 52 by Muriel B.

Image two Photomerged from two shots
    Project 52 by Muriel B.