Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Project 52 by Jan

Project 52 by Jan

Like to participate in the project 52.
    About setting targets, well I don't know where to begin . Know about the principles of photography but have a lot to learn (as if you ever done learning about it anyway). Like to know more about macro, and like nature, landscape, bird photography. And want to do streetphotography and need to know about the digital aspect of it all, including imageprocessing, completely new to that.
    Try to post my first picture later today.
    Jan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Project 52 by Jan

Welcome to CiC Ian! If you have looked at Dave's link Project 52: Index and FAQ or almost any of the P52's you will see that it can be pretty much whatever you want it to be. The goal is to improve your photography skills so pick an aspect that you would like to improve, shoot, post and ask about how to improve the area of your choice.

Thanks for the encouragement Frank.

Try to post a picture now. Made in AFmacro. Like to get the subjects even more enlarged but with my camera Panasonic FZ150 this is as 'big' as it gets , as far as I know. Perhaps with additional equipment?

Project 52 by Jan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jan,

I have added a link to this thread in the Index now, so you're 'fully paid up'

As I have found recently, "Macro" on bridge and/or P&S cameras can be a bit of a lottery, so I don't know whether the FZ150 is capable of more.
    My Canon S100 says it has a Macro mode on lens, but all that does is stop it focusing to infinity! (doesn't make it focus any closer at all)
    On my Nikon P510, Macro does at least allow it to focus closer than normal AF mode, but it only works towards the wider angle end of the zoom range.

Certainly, if this was the original framing, it could be displayed here a lot bigger though. You probably started with something like 4000 x 3000 px didn't you? Did you downsize before posting to 600px?

Try downsizing "not so much", say just to 1200px wide, post that, then see what happens when you click the image here.

Cheers,

Yes I downsized it. Original is 4000 x 2672.
    I save the images in jpeg and in Raw. Jpeg so I can use it immediately and Raw because I want to see what I can do with it in imageprocessing. But have not done anything yet with the Raw-files. Have not used imageprocessing software ever.

You wrote ' On my Nikon P510, Macro does at least allow it to focus closer than normal AF mode, but it only works towards the wider angle end of the zoom range.'
    I think this is the same for the FZ150.

Project 52 by Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 15th July 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Project 52 by Jan wk 27

Took some more macro photographs. Had never done this before , never had a macrolens for my slr's.
    It is a lot of fun. Although when I took this picture I was eaten alive by mosquitos , so I was kind of in a hurry and later I saw that the lenshood had moved a bit so you can see it in the corners.
    Don't know if I can do something about it in in PP. Or something else.

Project 52 by Jan

And a few weeks before I made this one.

Project 52 by Jan

I also discovered that by using the zoom in the AFMacro mode in the tele-position I can take a photograph as close as 100 cm instead of 200 cm.

This one is taken approx. 120cm away from the subject.

Project 52 by Jan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Project 52 by Jan wk 27

Nice set Jan! Try offsetting the subject a bit so that it is not centered in the image and it will usually look more interesting. Typically from one-half the distance from the center to the 1/3rd point and up to the 1/3rd point works best. The one time you will want the subject centered, however, if it is symmetrical.

may i know what is the camera that you have used for the pictures????

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the bigger pictures.

In addition to Frank's suggestion on composition, we need to get you using the PP software now
    Then you could crop off the missing (lenshood) corners and no-one would know

Quote Originally Posted by Shalini Sengupta
    May I know what camera you used for the pictures?
    Hi Shalini,

Jan used a Panasonic FZ150 for these (I got that from the EXIF data of the image).

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply Dave