Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Big light, biggest light

Real Name
    Miltos

Big light, biggest light

Since the best camera is always the one you have with you I bought a decent point shoot to always carry with me. From now on I won't miss a nice sunset again. I also need to byu more hard discs.....

Big light, biggest light

C&C always welcome.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

re: Big light, biggest light

A nice image that is so much nicer when viewed at the large size. I like that you have made an object that tends to be an eye sore in most photographs an attractive subject in this one.

Notice that the blue area of the sky is not as smooth as the yellow area. I can't tell whether that's due to posterization, sharpening or something else. If you sharpened the sky, eliminate it. (I always avoid sharpening the plain part of the sky, as opposed to the clouds.) If that doesn't solve the problem, try selecting the blue area and adding a small amount of noise reduction. That's not because there is any noise. Instead, I usually find the results in this situation to be better using noise reduction rather than using gaussian blur.

By the way, from a photographic standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the relatively biggest light is the man-made light, not the sun. That's because of the relationship between the physical size of the two light sources and their distance from the subject.

Again, a very appealing image!

Real Name
    Miltos

Thank you Mike for your kind comments and advices. Really appreciated it.

There is indeed lot of posterization in the sky due to the fact that the image was lightened in PP. It is a jpg one (raw not supported) so I applied some noise reduction and not any sharpening but still there is some graining in sky. I will have another try tomorrow.

As for the biggest light I think it is the sun only because it's scattered (diffused) by the sky acting as a big soft box. Unfortunately the light from the bright sun at noon is still much harsh without an extra diffuser (being the clouds). But from a photographic standpoint I consider this big football spotlight nothing but a big light stand.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    big light stand.
    Great title for your image!

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice image, well caught.

I do the same thing with the s100. When out and about with the big one it sits in the car otherwise it is in my pocket. I should try taking it at all times as there are sometimes wide shots that a long lens will not usually be good for.