Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Quick Break

Real Name
    N/A

Quick Break

In Chicago on business for the weekend. Was walking around Millenium Park yesterday with my new 50mm fixed Nikkor and saw this guy taking a quick breather on his truck. Asked if I could take his picture and snapped this one shot.

I'm happy with the way it came out - especially for only having 1 shot to work with. The leading lines of the porta-johns behind him frame the subject well. I do with the sky wasn't so blown out but I could probably bring that out a bit more in photoshop.

As always, and feedback or constructive criticism is welcomed!

D7000, 50mm Nikkor (1.8f, 1/1000, 100ISO)

Quick Break

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Quick Break

Nice pose, composition and depth of field!

I'm less concerned about the blown sky (it actually appears overcast rather than blown to me even though the harsh lighting on the man indicates that it's probably not overcast) than I am the highlights in the man's shirt. Consider rotating the image a little to the left and eliminating the distractive red dot in the background. If the original includes all of the man's hands, it might be nice to include them. Try showing a little detail in his hair.

Why did you have only one shot? If you build rapport with your subject, even if it's only in a matter of seconds, most people including strangers will allow you to make several shots.

Real Name
    N/A

Mike,

Thanks for your response!

Good point on the sky, it was pretty overcast. I toned down the highlights on the guys shirt and I think its a great improvement. I also cropped it in a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't get his whole hands.

I wish I did grab more shots... he probably would have been fine with it. I'm pretty new to photography in general and still feel a bit awkward sometimes going up to people and asking to take their picture. Good advice, I'll work on building more of a rapport with my subjects.

Thanks again!

Quick Break

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Much better in mind!

Now that you have cropped it, the image looks like it is leaning even more to the right. I'm certain it's an opitcal illusion, but it appears to be leaning far enough to the right now that I actually like it.

Real Name
    N/A

Thanks Mike, your feedback is greatly appreciated!