Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Reminance of a shoe shop

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Reminance of a shoe shop

Hi all. I was bored and decided to take a few pictures of stuff in the museum I look after. And this one is my favorite. I put it through as B&W with a tint. C&C's is appreciated and wanted.
    Reminance of a shoe shop
    The reminance of a show shop by AllenLennon, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Reminance of a shoe shop

A museum! Now that's got to be a very rich source of subject matter.

What struck me about this one is that once I figured out what it was, it became a good image. However, without the accompanying text, it would have taken me longer to work out what I was looking at.

I think it's a good example of one of these occasions when, as the photographer, it is obvious to us what is in the frame, because we were there. But if you put yourself in the place of the person observing the image (in this case on the other side of the world), it maybe becomes less obvious. And that, I think, is all about how you arrange and compose the image.

Maybe if we'd have seen one or two shoe moulds (not sure what other people call these) as very obviously the main subjects and the rest behind them out of focus, or something like that. As it is they all look a bit cluttered. That probably works very well as a museum exhibit, but maybe not so well as a picture.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Thanks Donald. I was just bored and didn't have time with the remaining light in the sky. I will be trying that next time. They is soo much I can do. I got the machinery and tools aswell

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the toning and contrast very much. The text didn't help me figure out the image content, as I actually overlooked the text until forcing myself to read it after seeing Donald's comment. Having said that, I do think a stronger composition will take a similar image to a higher level and I encourage you to continue working at it. Consider eliminating the dark "shoe" or making it the primary subject.