Thread: 3rd party printer profile with my canon mg printer

3rd party printer profile with my canon mg printer

Hi,

I have been trying to use ilford glossy paper for my canon mg 6220 printer but the results are really awful.

a) I have downloaded the profie file from the official ilford website (the profile I have downloaded is for mg 6150 actually but 6150 and 6220 have the same printing specs)

b) I have set the color management of my printer to off and let the photoshoıp decides the colors.
    c) used the downloaded profile.
    d) selected the "high gloss paper" and best quality.

with these settings, the output is so faded out like there's no contrast or no saturation.(Like there's a fog all over the image.)

You can say that the reason is bec the ilford glossy paper that I use is not compatible with the dye based printers such as mine but then when I select the default printer profile of my canon which is "canon ij 2005" and use the very same ilford paper, the output is excellent...

So I dont think that it is related with ink types and papers but printer profiles.

Whenever I use a printer profile other than "canon ij 2005" the output is awful.
    Even with the canon's original "canon sg2/sg1" profile it is awful.

(and when I use "canon ij 2005" + ilford paper or some other paper the result is excellent or good.)

What could be the reason for that, any ideas?
    thx in advance.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: 3rd party printer profile with my canon mg printer

Best suggestion I can make (based on experience) is "create your own profiles". It requires a modest investment in a spectrophotocolorimeter (like a Spyder Print) (my big word of the day), but after that you're well on your way to consistent and better results.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've found that some third-party paper manufacturer's profiles are not always up to the standards of the papers supplied by the printer manufacturer, especially when it comes to the non-professional printers. This does make sense as the number of printers out there is quite large and the cost of creating a icc profiles for all of the various printers out there is likely cost prohibative.

I've found that sticking to the OEM papers tends to be a less risky route. The manufacturers do stand behind their products and don't have much of an exuse if the print quality on their branded papers is off. While it might not help with your Ilford issues, sticking to Canon paper is probably an safer choice.

Real Name
    António Correia

Have a look here and perhaps it is time to invest in a Color Munky Photo

3rd party printer profile with my canon mg printer

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ocean76 View Post
    Hi,

I have been trying to use ilford glossy paper for my canon mg 6220 printer but the results are really awful.

a) I have downloaded the profie file from the official ilford website (the profile I have downloaded is for mg 6150 actually but 6150 and 6220 have the same printing specs)

b) I have set the color management of my printer to off and let the photoshoıp decides the colors.
    c) used the downloaded profile.
    d) selected the "high gloss paper" and best quality.

with these settings, the output is so faded out like there's no contrast or no saturation.(Like there's a fog all over the image.)

You can say that the reason is bec the ilford glossy paper that I use is not compatible with the dye based printers such as mine but then when I select the default printer profile of my canon which is "canon ij 2005" and use the very same ilford paper, the output is excellent...

So I dont think that it is related with ink types and papers but printer profiles.

Whenever I use a printer profile other than "canon ij 2005" the output is awful.
    Even with the canon's original "canon sg2/sg1" profile it is awful.

(and when I use "canon ij 2005" + ilford paper or some other paper the result is excellent or good.)

What could be the reason for that, any ideas?
    thx in advance.
    Hey Ocean76
    I too use Ilford papers in both my Canon and Epson printers. With the right profiles, they're wonderful papers.

Your problem is that you don't have the right profile for your 6220. A quick look at Canon's site told me that the ink sets in the 6220 and the 6150 are different. There's no reason at all to think that the profile for the 6150 will work in the 6220. See www.fromcameratoprint.com to get an understanding of why this is so.

You have three choices with this printer:
    1 Continue to use the default Canon profile (or or use 'printer manages colour' which should give exactly the same result) which you already said was 'excellent'; or
    2 Stick to the OEM papers and Canon's settings for those papers; or
    3 Build, or have someone build for you, a profile for exactly the Ilford paper and the inkset you're combining. If you're going to experiment with many different papers and/or inksets then follow Colin's advice (although I'd recommend the ColorMunki over the Spyder on the basis of my experience with both)

Cheers

Tim

Real Name
    Dan

Hi Ocean76 (we use real names here, so please add yours),

The problem with multifunction printers is that paper vendors often don't provide ICCs for them. I had this problem for several years, when I printed with an MP970. Great results, when I could find a profile.

I think the simplest solution would be to stick with a paper vendor that does provide ICCs for your printer. If you can find a suitable paper, it will save you the trouble and expense of having custom profiles created. There are a lot of good papers, and in many cases, the results from comparable papers from two vendors are very similar.

Red River does have profiles for your printer:
    http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profi...-profiles.html
    Their papers are good, IMHO, and I have had good luck with their profiles (for a different Canon, the 9000II). You might want to buy one of their sampler packs and see how you like them. I have never tried their glossy papers, but two of their papers (Ultra Pro Satin 2 and Polar Matte) are among my standards.

good luck.

Dan

Hi Tim,
    I didn't know that 6220 and the 6150 are different, so you are right then this could be the reason.
    thx for making this clear for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Macmahon View Post
    Hey Ocean76
    I too use Ilford papers in both my Canon and Epson printers. With the right profiles, they're wonderful papers.

Your problem is that you don't have the right profile for your 6220. A quick look at Canon's site told me that the ink sets in the 6220 and the 6150 are different. There's no reason at all to think that the profile for the 6150 will work in the 6220. See www.fromcameratoprint.com to get an understanding of why this is so.

You have three choices with this printer:
    1 Continue to use the default Canon profile (or or use 'printer manages colour' which should give exactly the same result) which you already said was 'excellent'; or
    2 Stick to the OEM papers and Canon's settings for those papers; or
    3 Build, or have someone build for you, a profile for exactly the Ilford paper and the inkset you're combining. If you're going to experiment with many different papers and/or inksets then follow Colin's advice (although I'd recommend the ColorMunki over the Spyder on the basis of my experience with both)

Cheers

Tim

Hi Dan,
    I did what you have said and ordered from red river.
    they have profiles my for printer and I hope I'll get good results.
    thx again for all your help and suggestions.