Thread: Comments for Composition and Overall Artistic Quality...

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

Comments for Composition and Overall Artistic Quality...

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Comments for Composition and Overall Artistic Quality...

Mitch - maybe if we start with you. What were your aims for the image? Were you just trying to execute a nice image that was sharp and in focus or something that people sit back and go wow!

Did you feel you achieved the goals you set out to?

In terms of my view - everything seems sharp and in focus. Whether it is something I'd want hanging on my wall - not sure.

Hope this helps.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

In addition to Peter's very good comments and questions...

If the rear tire or both tires are the primary subject, a different composition could be more dramatic if you moved closer to the rear tire, eliminating the extraneous upper part of the truck and the empty space to the right. You could also perhaps have used a shorter focal length to emphasize the size of the rear tire. You might be able to emphasize the size and depth of the tire tread by adding a touch more contrast.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm overly influenced by my own approach to a similar shot I made shown below. If you were attempting to do something different, as Peter suggests might be the case, ignore both my comments and my image.

Real Name
    Blake

I agree with the above. This image is sharp and well exposed, but the composition isn't grabbing me. It almost looks like you want to show the torn down truck sitting out in the middle of nowhere, but it's hard to get that from what's in the frame. I would have taken the approach of getting close to the truck with a wide lens to show as much of this truck and the empty background as possible.

Mitch I really like that shot, and where you are going with the editing. It makes me want to get a truck and go 4x4ing. And then take some pics in the after math. The tones and highlighted undercarriage very work well. I would suggest in your editing taking it a step further and give it the composition it deserves:

If you are going to edit out some of the back ground go big... Anywho, took 20secs on Google images of Salt Flats, found a suitable image, dropped in your pic on top, blended with a mask, matched up the ground and sky with a Vib/sat layer and a hue/sat adjust.

Keep it up

Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 13th June 2012 at 10:44 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I really like that composition, Ryo! And I'm extremely impressed with your expertise of combining the two images.

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

Ricco, I don't really put that much thought in it. What I try to do is give the viewer a conduit into inner emotions, When I look at this shot, I feel the intensly warm air mingled with a dry almost muddy scent...wishing For cool wet mudd...

Mike, The empty space for me, leaves the frame open for the viewers imagination to explore creating thier own image in the minds eye. Your shot is very nice I like it alot, the shot itself tells me this is the whole, the final there is no room for anything else.

Blake, I didn't anticipate your view of the truck being torn down, I assumed that viewers would view from the perspective of the truck feeling nostalgic.

Thanks to all of you for your input, I hope you understand where I'm at when a shot presents itself.

Ryo, Thank you so much for showing me the possibilties...))