Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Brick alleys

Real Name
    Jason

Brick alleys

Hey all,

I was out taking pictures the other day with my girlfriend and we decided it would be fun if I shot some photos of her. I have limited experience with working with a model, so I did my best. It was also one of the first times I've seriously used my new flash on people. I had previously been playing with it mostly indoors doing still life photos.

Brick alleys
    _DSC4749 1 by rhoads238, on Flickr

Brick alleys
    _DSC4667 by rhoads238, on Flickr

CC always welcome

-Jason

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Brick alleys

As always, my disclaimer first - I'm no portraitist, so remarks must be taken in that context.

On there is a lot of 'bits' of light and shadow on her face. I'm not sure that this is what you want to strive for in a portrait. I'd contrast that with #2 in which the lighting on the face seems much more managed and controlled.

Real Name
    Paul

I'd agree with Donald on this one and me, I'm no portraitist either. The light on the second shot is more pleasing but for me personally I find that if I crop out the green wall the portrait becomes much stronger. It's as if the change of background from textured brick to smooth green wall is competing for attention with your model. Love the rich colours in the first shot though, maybe a little more fill or a reflector on the model's face would have killed some of those strong shadows

The first photo has a nice natural look to it; rather than the posed somewhat bored expression of the second.

Maybe try a little more brightness on the first one, but selectively applied to avoid the existing bright highlights.

Real Name
    Shawn

Hi Jason,
    In my opinion, I think you should try the second one as a B/W with the background darkened and a little vig. I might look nice with more contrast as well.

Real Name
    Richard

For the life of me, I can't understand why photographers persist in shooting good looking females in ratty places like alleys and old abandoned factories!