Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some attempts from earlier

Real Name
    Paul Matthews

Some attempts from earlier

Took the dogs to a different place earlier and decided to take the camera with me for a bit more of a play. The photo's are not the best but im not sure if its the photo itself or my really poor post processing. I am ansolutely useless at photoshop Elements but i am trying to do things. I also dont have a tripod yet so they are freehand photo's. Any feedback and advice is greatly appreciated but please keep simple for a simple person

Thought the above shot was a bit different

Real Name
    Mynor

Re: Some attempts from earlier

I find this pictures beatiful!
    I would like to suggest (If you allow me) that if you are working on editing software maybe you can increase a little bit the "color vibrance" which will give more vivid colors and a stronger local contrast. In the pictures where the sky seems to be a little overexposed you can apply a neutral density Filter or a gradient neutral density filter which are really simple to make on most of image editing software. BTW tutorials for applying those filters can be found at this very useful forum.

Congrats!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You seem to have a good sense of composition and your exposure seems about right, Paul. Your images will take a major step forward once you master the use of Levels & Curves. Read up about it and try using it. It won't take long to learn about it and you'll soon be using it on every image. [EDIT: I just saw the two tutorials here about the Levels Tool and the Curves Tool, which are excellent.]

Some people will probably suggest to you that you move up from Elements to CS5, but in my opinion 95% of your needs will be met in Elements. Once you have come close to mastering Elements, you can then decide if you need to graduate to CS5.

Real Name
    Philip

Check out the tutorials on You Tube too. Its a gold mine of information.(Liberally sprinkled with a dusting of rubbish! )

Real Name
    Paul Matthews

Wow thanks guys. I wasn't expecting those kind of comments. I was informed today about using YouTube as a guide as it shows you what to do rather than trying to explain. Cheers for the comments though and I'll have a bit more of a play later on.