Thread: The eyes have it

Real Name
    Bobo

The eyes have it

Or bug shuttle.

Had packed away the tripod, flash, lens and camera after getting the "girl's gifts" shots What more could a girl ask for....

My fiery ant friend took a new interest in me and brought many of friends along. Had a hard time getting rid of the 5 or 6 that had managed to crawl up my pants and taking bites of me. (found 2 more back home).

Walking out the park stopped by a football pitch to watch the game. Nothing exciting there so decided to check out a nearby shady area. Mounted the lens and left everything else on the bench as I was not really expecting anything in the shade.

Just my luck to see this and took a series of shots knowing well that the camera settings were not up to it without the flash. Anyway got 3 reasonable shots which I am not too happy with - could have been sharper and dof could have been better controlled but....

Newbieness really shining through here.

Have no idea what these are and what they were doing. The bottom one was moving pretty fast and the smaller one on top hanging on. Did not appear to be mating from the placement of the tailend. Appeared more like the big one carrying its young. All I know is they looked beautiful and those eyes were really something.

The eyes have it

The eyes have it

The eyes have it

Real Name
    Rachel

Re: The eyes have it

These look like picture wing flies of some sort - and what you have there is a male on the female. Not currently in cop, but either will be or have been!

The actual species can often be tracked down from the type of plant the fly is found on.

You actually did quite well in less than optimal conditions as these flies are pretty small!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Rachel. I will try and find them again next time. There are a couple of similar trees in that park.

They are probably a species of Picture Winged Flies, Bobo. Tephritidae family. But they are a complicated bunch.

Try to compare the markings on those wings.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Geoff. Complicated how?

Here are some thumbnails of the European branch of that family which may give you a suggestion of identification.

http://www.diptera.info/photogallery.php?album_id=52

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Geoff that is one useful site.

Real Name
    Joe

Magnificent Bobo, just magnificent. A little practice and look at what your are doing with your macro.