Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Body Upgrade - Which One?

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Body Upgrade - Which One?

In the near future I plan on upgrading from the Rebel XS I have been using and upgrading to another body. I am on a tight budge, probably in the $800 range and these are the two that I have found that I think I am most interested in.

I can get a Canon T3i body in the $650 to $700 range or I can get an EOS 60D body for right at the $899 mark which is only $99 over my budget. I would love to upgrade to a 5D but something in the $2,000 price range just isn't going to work.

What is the advantage of the 60D over the T3i or what is missing from the T3i that I would get with the 60D?

KHarmon

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Body upgrade....which one???

IMO, this is an easy choice...

I like the control systems of the x0D cameras far better than the controls of the Rebel series...

Primarily, I like the dual dial controls which allow more control without needing to access the menu for changing the parameters of the camera.

I also enjoy the top LCD panel which allows me to view my selected parameters looking down at the camera.

Additionally, I like the user controlled setting of the 60D...

The 60D viewfinder is also better using a pentaprism instead of the Rebel's pentamirror. The 60D shows 95% while the Ti shows 85%.

There are 9 cross type focus points rather than a single one.

The burst mode is considerably faster at 5.3 FPS instead of 3.7 fps.

The 60D has a 1/8000 second shutter speed vs. 1/4000 second

The 60D has slightly shorter shutter lag.

The 60D also has a battery capacity of 1,100 shots per charge vs. 440 shots of the T3i.

Oh yes, the 60D has an auto level in the viewfinder which I find is helpful at times.

Considering that in your pricing, there is a $200 to $250 dollar difference in the price of the two cameras, I would save the extra $99 for the 60D because I think it is a more capable and more advanced camera.

Which did I select? Neither... I selected the 7D but that is way out of your price range and IMO, there is less difference between the 60D and 7D than between the 60D and T#i.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th June 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think Richard has hit the key points that you need to consider.

I have to confess that when I first saw the title of the thread I thought, "Well, I could do with losing a few stones, but I'm not sure I need a full upgrade."

Real Name
    Dan

I upgraded from a Rebel to a 50D several years ago. The 60D is quite similar to the 50D in many respects. My list and recommendation would have been pretty much the same as Richard's. I find the ergonomics and controls of the xxD cameras far superior to those of the Rebels. On the other hand, they are bigger and heavier. If you can, find a camera on that series (40D, 50D, 60D) and handle it a bit to see for yourself whether you respond the same way.

Real Name
    Alex

To add to Richard's excellent summary the 60D also has:

- A user defined custom mode. This allows you to save the complete state of the camera (shooting mode, ISO, autofocus points and mode, flash settings, etc.) to one of the settings on the mode dial. You can then switch to your user mode whenever you like. This is a great function to have.

- A dedicated auto focus button on the rear of the camera for back button focus. I use back button focus exclusively and really value this option. Note that it may be possible to configure it for something else instead. The next level up 7D certainly has this ability.

Note that with the extra money you could buy another lens or more significantly a flash. If you plan to do a lot of indoor people photography then a 430EX speedlite may be a better option.

However the 60D's better ergonomics would make it a better camera to use every day. That would make you a happier photographer and so you should take better photos.

Go to the local shops and hold both in your hands. The 60D is bigger. That may work for you or it may feel too big.

Alex

Real Name
    Andrew

Don't forget to take a look at the used market in your area. You may be able to get a lower price and put some $$ towards a lens or even move up to the 5D you'd like. First place to check would be a camera store that takes trade-ins and offers a 30-90 day warranty on the camera. If you're existing camera is fine and you are not in a hurry, watch for some deals.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    ... I would love to upgrade to a 5D but something in the $2,000 price range just isn't going to work.
    OTOH, a used 5D classic (Mark I) can be found in exactly your budget range: (KEH listing).

Everybody else has listed the advantages the 60D has over the 600D, but I should perhaps point out that they share the same processor and sensor. So it's all usability features the 60D has over the 600D. ISO performance, video capability, and overall image quality however, will remain the same.

And there's the fact that if you can hold on for three or four more months, the fall announcements are due to start happening in September/Oct. And the T4i is rumored to be on deck. Generally speaking, announcements happen in the spring and fall. So, April and October are probably the best times to go new camera shopping to know you aren't going to be superseded any time soon.

And since you're in the USA, I would also mention Canon's Refurbished store. And the Canon Loyalty Program. I got both my 50D and 5DMkII on the CLP. The 50D's MSRP at the time I got it was about $1200. I got it from the CLP for about $700. The 5DMkII was about $2500 at the time, I got it for $1800. Both of them had shutter actuation counts under 100 when I checked them, which means they were likely units that simply could not be sold as new, not repaired units, but that is a chance you take with Canon's refurbs. They only have a 90-day warranty, not a 1 year warranty, and come in a white box not a retail one. But they have been thoroughly checked by Canon Service, not something new cameras coming off the line can claim. I've owned the 50D for nearly three years, the 5D MkII for 18 months. Both are still going strong.

Right now, on the CLP, a 60D body is going for $640 + sales tax, and a T3i for $480+tax, if you have an out-of-warranty Canon camera to trade in. Just a thought.
    Last edited by inkista; 8th June 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Real Name
    Meisam

I have Rebel T2i, T3i is mostly the same...

I just can say 60D is something between T3i and 7D...

If I were you, I would buy 60D...

Good Luck....

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    OTOH, a used 5D classic (Mark I) can be found in exactly your budget range: (KEH listing).

Everybody else has listed the advantages the 60D has over the 600D, but I should perhaps point out that they share the same processor and sensor. So it's all usability features the 60D has over the 600D. ISO performance, video capability, and overall image quality however, will remain the same.

And there's the fact that if you can hold on for three or four more months, the fall announcements are due to start happening in September/Oct. And the T4i is rumored to be on deck. Generally speaking, announcements happen in the spring and fall. So, April and October are probably the best times to go new camera shopping to know you aren't going to be superseded any time soon.

And since you're in the USA, I would also mention Canon's Refurbished store. And the Canon Loyalty Program. I got both my 50D and 5DMkII on the CLP. The 50D's MSRP at the time I got it was about $1200. I got it from the CLP for about $700. The 5DMkII was about $2500 at the time, I got it for $1800. Both of them had shutter actuation counts under 100 when I checked them, which means they were likely units that simply could not be sold as new, not repaired units, but that is a chance you take with Canon's refurbs. They only have a 90-day warranty, not a 1 year warranty, and come in a white box not a retail one. But they have been thoroughly checked by Canon Service, not something new cameras coming off the line can claim. I've owned the 50D for nearly three years, the 5D MkII for 18 months. Both are still going strong.

Right now, on the CLP, a 60D body is going for $640 + sales tax, and a T3i for $480+tax, if you have an out-of-warranty Canon camera to trade in. Just a thought.
    I am extremely happy you mentioned them as I was not aware of a Canon Loyalty program. I am glad you brought it up because I would have been spending more money than I should have.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Richard

I totally agree with Kathy regarding the Canon Loyalty program. That is the way I purchased my 7D at quite a good price. And I purchased my two preceeding Canon DSLR cameras (30D and 40D) as Canon refurbished units, alhough not through the Loyalty Program which I don't think was in existence at the time.The quality control at the Canon Service Centers is better than the QC of the assembly line because each unit is individually checked. As Kathy mentioned, that is not the case with assembly line cameras...

I traded in a Canon 10D which needed more repairs than it was worth. However, i don't think you need to trade in a DSLR. Any Canon digital (I don't know about film cameras) camera would suffice when I used the CLP. I assume that the rules have not drasically changed.

Even if the 60D is not listed on the CLP website, call the number. There were no 7D cameras listed when I bought mine by calling that phone number.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)
    And the T4i is rumored to be on deck.
    More than a rumour - B&H are taking pre-orders for it!

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Body Upgrade - Which One?

[grin]. Time differences, dude! Hilarious timing, though, writing that a few hours before it got announced. Off to read dpreview's preview. Some folks are saying it's a 60D in a dRebel body. And oo! Touchscreens!

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...50d-rebel-t4i/

Personally, can't wait to see what happens with the 7DMKII and 70D.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Body Upgrade - Which One?

[grin]. Time differences, dude! Hilarious timing, though, writing that a few hours before it got announced. Off to read dpreview's preview. Some folks are saying it's a 60D in a dRebel body. And oo! Touchscreens!

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...50d-rebel-t4i/

Personally, can't wait to see what happens with the 7DMKII and 70D.
    I'm thinking of buying one. I'll put in behind a glass panel with a sign that says "In case of emergency, break glass, remove camera" (in case my 1Dx ever breaks)