Thread: I want to buy a new lens!

Real Name
    Meisam

I want to buy a new lens!

Hello all,
    I have a Rebel T2i, I want to buy a new lens,
    I like wide angle photography also my budget is limited, it's about 600$

I like to buy a EF-S 15-85mm. I like portrait and I like to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens too but someone told me this lens is not that much sharp and asks me to try 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8.

Only thing I know is I'm just able to buy one of these lenses, many told me to try EF-S 18-200 but I really don't like it's 18mm focal length wide angle...

Which one the best choice? EF 50mm f/1.4 or EF 85mm f/1.8 prime lenses or EF-S 15-85mm or EF-S 18-200mm?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I want to buy a new lens!

Unfortunately Meisam, I do not think anyone can make that decision for you. You have to decide whether a wide angle lens is more important to you or whether you want/need something of a longer focal length.

Can you tell us what is wrong with the lens(es) you have at the moment? What is you cannot do that you wish to do?

Real Name
    Kathy

As Donald says, what is it you want this new lens to do that your current gear won't let you accomplish? The first step before acquiring any new gear is to determine if a) it's a technique issue or a gear issue, and b) what the appropriate gear is for the task you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Meisam View Post
    I have a Rebel T2i, I want to buy a new lens,
    I like wide angle photography also my budget is limited, it's about 600$

I like to buy a EF-S 15-85mm.
    While the EF-S 15-85 is wider than the EF-S 18-55, it's not nearly as wide as the EF-S 10-22 (which is also about $600). How wide do you need to go? How fast do you need to go? What is it you want to improve upon?

I like portrait and I like to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens too but someone told me this lens is not that much sharp and asks me to try 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8.
    According to test charts, the 50/1.8 II and 50/1.4 USM are pretty much even in sharpness/image quality. The main differences are usability features, build quality, and the larger max. aperture. Both of the lenses tend to become considerably sharper when stopped down into the f/2.8-f/4 range. A common beginner mistake is to buy a fast prime, shoot with it wide open all the time and then complain it isn't sharp and purple fringes all the time.

The EF 85mm f/1.8 USM is a good lens, I really enjoy mine, but it's also longer than a 50mm, and on a crop body may frame too tightly for what you want to shoot. It may not. Shopping for lenses is rather like shopping for clothes: you have to find what suits you, your personal style, and your budget. There is no objective "best" that works for everyone. We all shoot different things in different ways. The first lens I bought for my Canon XT when I got it was an 8mm circular fisheye. Because I bought the camera specifically to use that lens. It's a lens very few people would ever want to rent, let alone buy. But to me, it's indispensible, lives in my bag all the time, and if I look at my stats, it's in the top 3 of "lenses I use the most." Because I shoot spherical panos. You don't.

Only thing I know is I'm just able to buy one of these lenses, many told me to try EF-S 18-200 but I really don't like it's 18mm focal length wide angle...
    The 18-200's strength is its large focal length range, but there are compromises in image quality to achieve that range. So, I'd rate it around the same as the twin kit 18-55/55-250 combo, only more expensive, and with some mustache distortion at the wide end, which is tough to fix in post. If you need a travel lens, it's a good choice, but I wouldn't think of it as an "upgrade", precisely, more of a "sidegrade".

Which one the best choice? EF 50mm f/1.4 or EF 85mm f/1.8 prime lenses or EF-S 15-85mm or EF-S 18-200mm?
    EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM or Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 if you want to go ultrawide.

Portrait prime, wise:
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II if you want to go cheap (it's about $100). Or EF 28/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, EF 35/2, EF 50/1.4, EF 85/1.8 USM, EF 100/2 USM, or EF 135 f/2.8 Soft Focus if you want to go midgrade, and you know what focal length you favor enough to make a prime useful. EF 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L, or 135/2L if you win the lottery.

EF-S 15-85 IS USM or possibly the Tamron 17-50/2.8 if you want to replace your walkaround lens and can afford it. A used EF-S 17-85 IS USM if you want to replace your walkaround lens, but need to save the pennies. EF-S 17-55/2.8, EF 17-40/4L, EF 24-70/2.8L, or EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM if you win the lottery.

But, as Donald said, more information would help us target what it is you want more precisely.

Real Name
    Meisam

I like to shot wide photos. I like shoot life-style and landscape photos also portrait all in outdoor not in studio yet, some HDR from sea coast, I like something provides me both feature wide and telephoto, I think 15-85 is the best choice for me with the information you've mentioned. Maybe a cheap 50mm f/1.8 can still work for me.
    I think my next upgrade would be 10-22mm I love that lens I forget to mention

This 18-55 is standard lens, I always see a location and I say myself stop here is a photo, when I see in the view finder I can't find it!

Can you tell us what is wrong with the lens(es) you have at the moment? What is you cannot do that you wish to do?
    In most of the time, I have problem with exposure, the aperture indicator blinks and it drives me crazy, I increase ISO and decrease shutter speed so I always have something noisy and blurry... this is why I want a large aperture lens such as 50mm, about other expensive lenses as I am not a pro photographer I think it's too much for me, I saw some sample of 70-300mm f/2.8L and I am sure everyone wish to have one sharp and high quality lens like that, but for me, I think 15-85 is good for landscape, sea and some portraits, I see in greater focal length it turn to standard lens!
    http://www.lenstip.com/220.6-Lens_re...istortion.html
    Last edited by Meisam; 9th June 2012 at 12:16 AM.