Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tay Bridge #7

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Tay Bridge #7

Okay - the last in the series of images I made from the photographs captured over the weekend of May 26/27 of the rail bridge crossing the River Tay in Dundee, Scotland.

The others in the series, plus one made in 2010, can all be viewed in posts 1 and 4 of this thread.

I have to confess - I like this one. I think I've made a pretty good job of it.

Setting it up (the composition and the exposure) was the easy bit. Getting the right amount of fog/mist in the right place is the bit that took a long time. At one moment I could hardly see any bridge. The next moment I could almost see the other shore. It was very much a case of just waiting .... and waiting ... and waiting, until I knew the moment was NOW! And then capturing it. I knew I had the photograph I wanted as soon as I pressed the shutter.

But, of course, you might disagree! I always look forward to reading your comments.

The Tay Bridge #7
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 45mm. ISO100. 1/2@f16. 5:44am
    Last edited by Donald; 7th June 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: The Tay Bridge #7

I love the way it just disappears so gradually into the mist in infinite degrees

Both a gentle and yet a wow shot as always.

Real Name
    Louise

Donald, I do like this even more than the previous one. You play with the light and the fog like others use filters...Your very own nature's instrument. Like a conductor (humm, of the train or the orchestra)? I would like to know what music would accompain this.
    I grew up on the shores of the St-Laurence river, where the water is salty and the winds come from the sea. I loved to see the fog rolling in our street, water dripping from the larges maples trees and the sound of the fog horns. I used to pretend it was London...mystery. Mystery.

Real Name
    Ian

I don't know why, and I haven't read what accompanies this as I'm writing this, Donald, but that really got to me (emotionally) when I opened the image... I'll think about that and come back...

Okay... can't say why that affected me like that at first... it's an immaculate shot, and has had me gazing into that mist thinking about it for quite a while now... A wonderful last shot in an exceptional series. I'd love to see large prints of these in an exhibition (there I go again..! )
    Brilliant work.
    Ian

Real Name
    Jon

Donald, I see why you saved this one for last. An absolutely wonderful image, by far the best capture out of a magnificent series.

Cheers

Real Name
    Miltos

You are teasing us Donald. You are showing us this beauty after 6 (also wonderful) photographs.
    Indeed the best I think.

Real Name
    Joe

Superb Donald, nothing else needs to be said.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you folks. I'm glad it's attracting positive comments .... at least from those who have commented. Maybe all the others who've looked at it thought it was rubbish and are just too nice to say so!

I don't know how many folk will have looked at a histogram. I thought there might have been some comment about the need to pull the black and the white points way in. I could well understand if that had been the case. If you do that you get, I think, a good, but very different image. It loses the mood and atmosphere that I felt I captured in this image.

For many people, the idea of going with such low contrast in a B & W is a bit of an anathema. But if anything is made for such a low contrast treatment, where there are no blacks and no whites, then it is fog/mist.

I am quite proud of this image.

Real Name
    Joe

Donald, if it were hanging in a gallery or on a wall in a home would those viewing be looking at a histogram. One looks at the image as presented with either positive or negative feelings. For me there is only positive feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you folks.

I am quite proud of this image.
    And you should be Donald it is another outstanding image worthy of hanging in an exhibit! This is my third look at it, I had to take a break and wash the car while the sun was still down and it was cool outside for the time being anyway.
    When I first looked at it it was as if it was moving near the reflections and the ripples in the water along with the fog. This is an image that has to be studied for me to get everthing in my mind. I really like the composition, especially the way the bridge just disappears in the fog. Very creative!

Real Name
    Remco

A very, very good image...

About the histogram: I never look at it to see if it is 'correct' with a good image (by definition, a good image has a correct histogram ). And in any case, with a border of any size, the histogram gets swamped by the border colour... (here: one black peak, one white peak, and some noise between...)

Remco

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Donald, if it were hanging in a gallery or on a wall in a home would those viewing be looking at a histogram. One looks at the image as presented with either positive or negative feelings. For me there is only positive feelings.

What he said!

Real Name
    Arlen

Top notch, Donald. Would love to see it printed large on fine art paper, and hanging on the wall.

Real Name
    Alan Bithell

Brilliant shot Donald, a case of the early bird catches the worm. 05.44!

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    I would like to know what music would accompain this.
    It didn't make me think of music, but of "Night Mail"
    Cheers,
    A.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Crackaig View Post
    It didn't make me think of music, but of "Night Mail"
    To have my image evoke thoughts of that iconic piece of British social history documentary, is indeed an honour. And, again, thanks to others as well.

Real Name
    Julia Crockatt

beautiful shot!

Real Name
    Robert S.

That picture really holds a mystery like the bridge itself.

"Beautiful Railway Bridge of the Silv’ry Tay!
    Alas! I am very sorry to say
    That ninety lives have been taken away
    On the last Sabbath day of 1879,
    Which will be remember’d for a very long time."
    - William McGonagall 1879

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_Rail_Bridge

Great shot. I won't complain regarding contrast and blackpoint here. It is just right for the picture as it is.

cu
    Robert