Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ...as in a dream (2)

Real Name
    Sharon

...as in a dream (2)

...as in a dream (2)

Different texture applied....I think Donald may prefer this and I think I do too.

and some links I promised.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/textures4layers/

http://www.picmonkey.com/#

*It is worth me mentioning that if you use someone elses textures from the textures4layers pool you are expected to give some attribution to the original photographer..it's easy enough to do but yet another reason to make some of your own.
    Last edited by Daisy Mae; 8th June 2012 at 05:41 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: ...as in a dream (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Different texture applied....I think Donald may prefer this and I think I do too.
    Mmmmm?

Comparing it to '...as in a dream', I'm not even going to try and suggest that one is 'better' than the the other. They are each a creation using the same base material/information, but envisioned and made as very different final images.

Being terribly morbid (or maybe it's celebratory), the first thought I had with this image was of the peace and serenity that hopefully accompanies the final moments of life as one floats off towards death. Mmmmm?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Being terribly morbid (or maybe it's celebratory), the first thought I had with this image was of the peace and serenity that hopefully accompanies the final moments of life as one floats off towards death. Mmmmm?

Well I have succeeded if it conveys peace and totally failed if I have you reaching for the Prozac.lol

Should I send it to Hallmark for their 'In Deepest Sympathy' range?

My normal style is quite bold so I have forced myself to explore a gentler approach in the last wee while. I don't like getting stuck in a particular mode.

You sound like you need that upcoming holiday ( vacation) Donald..!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Should I send it to Hallmark for their 'In Deepest Sympathy' range?
    Probably make you a fortune.

You sound like you need that upcoming holiday ( vacation) Donald..!
    That's true (2 weeks to go), but I didn't mean to convey a sense of depression in seeing the image. In fact, I felt uplifted by its beauty. But the message that reached the brain was as written above.

Real Name
    Sharon

Oh good...I will settle for poignant and save my soul from hallmark.

Real Name
    Ian

I can sort of see where that might originate from, Donald, though it doesn't evoke that for me...
    No criticism, Sharon, but I prefer the first texture... I wouldn't have known how you'd done that on the first image without your explanation... seemed like it could be an out of focus part of the original image...
    This version has texture more clearly superimposed on the image (though, of course, I'm influenced by knowing that now..!) which seems less integrated with the original in my eyes. Still lovely though, and yes, peaceful...

Unlike my garden which is being smashed by June gales right now... Irises, Geraniums and Verbascums strewn about.... why do I never remember to stake them..? Ooops, not the gardening forum...!
    Ian

Real Name
    Sharon

Haa..........i know what you mean Ian...I should really keep the processes shrouded in mystery but hey..am a generous sort of a gal and really keen to see wht people come up with. I don't use textures very often now but enjoy them when I do.

I put this one up purely to show what a radical difference a choice of texture can make.

My garden is suffering too...it's probably in ethiopia by now! lol

Real Name
    Krisztina

Sharon, Thanks SO MUCH for sharing- I've been looking for an easier way to do this other than photoshop and Gimp. Picnik used to have very similar editing processes like that of PicMonkey- but they changed it recently through Picasa/google.... I cant wait to keep playing around!!

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    Sharon, Thanks SO MUCH for sharing- I've been looking for an easier way to do this other than photoshop and Gimp. Picnik used to have very similar editing processes like that of PicMonkey- but they changed it recently through Picasa/google.... I cant wait to keep playing around!!

You GO girl!! Am glad it works for you! ((hugs))

Real Name
    Bruce

Sharon: your pic suggests peacefulness. No, not like Donald, I am not depressed. Do need a vacation though.
    Good work. Bruce

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks Bruce.

I don't think Donald is depressed..just a bit of scottish banter between us.

Glad you enjoyed the pic

Am ticking off the days until my vacation now too......Plockton then Caithness with my beautiful daughter and two week old baby..yeah!!!

Can't help but be fantastic..

Hey Sharon,
    While this one is beautiful I much preferred the first one as it had a greater impact on me from a visual stand point. I am always impressed with you creativity and one day hope to gain a little more as I have none at all.
    I did check out the links you sent and played around a little. I liked what I saw and will be giving it a go as soon as I find something to use it on. Thank you again for sharing.

Real Name
    Sharon

My pleasure.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I prefer this one to the other one...and I like both of them. This one looks like it's shot through a dirty window. I'd actually like to see a little less opacity on the texture so it looks more believably like a dirty window. Ironically, I would not be surprised to learn that doing so would introduce more realism than Sharon prefers, which would be perfectly understandable.

Despite all the talk about the textures, it's the high-key pastels in the basic image of the flowers that appeals to me.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks Mike...and you are spot on!