Thread: Skyline II (6-8-12)

Real Name
    Bruce

Skyline II (6-8-12)

Would very much welcome C&C. Bruce
    Skyline II (6-8-12)

I believe that this definition is better. Bruce
    Skyline II (6-8-12)
    Last edited by Digital; 8th June 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Skyline II (6-8-12)

Love the colours and the composition is strong, with the tall building well placed.

It feels soft to me and in need of selective content sharpening on the buildings. I'm just wondering if it was hand-held and what we've got ever-so-slight motion blur, although the light trails from the vehicles don't seem to show that to be the case?

Real Name
    Sharon

I quite like the softness...adds to the atmosphere for me.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bruce,

I like this too.

I do think there is a small amount of (almost perfectly vertical) camera movement, I agree it isn't apparent on the headlamps, but every other light source is a vertical bar, there are no true point sources I can see.

There's a plug-in called Focus Magic which could be used (on the full sized image) to remove this vertical blur very effectively (you set angle and number of pixels, or use auto). I think you can download, get 10 free goes, then buy a licence for $45 - I will definitely be doing that when I get to 10, only minor issue is there isn't a 64 bit version yet.

I also agree with the need for sharpening and yes, it ought to be selectively applied, or some things will be too sharp and attract undue viewer attention. Ideally "Focus Magic" it first.

I have a minor suggestion on composition, I don't think the right hand 5% of picture adds much, but I would like to see bit more on the left.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Bruce

Thank you all for your comments. The pic was shot with a tripod, and a cable release. I have included another pic that appears to have better definition. Bruce

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. The pic was shot with a tripod, and a cable release. I have included another pic that appears to have better definition. Bruce
    The second image that you have just posted into your original message above is, indeed, much clearer. What do you think explains the difference?

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The second image that you have just posted into your original message above is, indeed, much clearer. What do you think explains the difference?
    Donald, The first pic was shot at a faster sutter speed (f9@1.6 sec.) than the second (f9@2.5 sec.). Same focal length (32mm) on both shots. Your guess as good as mine. Bruce

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Donald, The first pic was shot at a faster sutter speed (f9@1.6 sec.) than the second (f9@2.5 sec.). Same focal length (32mm) on both shots. Your guess as good as mine. Bruce
    Assuming everything else is equal; e.g. pp work - sharpening etc, then, by a process of elimination, you arrive back at the conclusion that there was movement in the camera when you took the first one - whether that was caused by wind, you stamping your feet, some other cause of vibration or divine intervention!

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Assuming everything else is equal; e.g. pp work - sharpening etc, then, by a process of elimination, you arrive back at the conclusion that there was movement in the camera when you took the first one - whether that was caused by wind, you stamping your feet, some other cause of vibration or divine intervention!
    There was no wind. I was inside a room. These photos were shot thru a window. I do not remember stamping my feet.
    It must have been divine intervention. Bruce

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

These photos were shot thru a window.
    If you were using autofocus, that could explain the difference between the two images. There could have been something on or close to the window that threw off the autofocus in the first image. Unless you cropped the two images differently, it's clear that you moved the camera to the right between the first and second images. That alone could explain the different results in the autofocus when shooting through a window.

Did I forget to mention that I like the second image very much? Shame on me!

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    If you were using autofocus, that could explain the difference between the two images. There could have been something on or close to the window that threw off the autofocus in the first image. Unless you cropped the two images differently, it's clear that you moved the camera to the right between the first and second images. That alone could explain the different results in the autofocus when shooting through a window.

Did I forget to mention that I like the second image very much? Shame on me!
    Thank you Mike for your comments. Makes sense to me. Bruce

Real Name
    Graham

Hi Bruce,
    I like the 2nd image i think the first looks a bit too soft for my eye. I can't see the motion blur, but did you use mirror lock up? Even with a tripod and cable release mirror slap can be a problem.
    Graham

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by gcowan View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    I like the 2nd image i think the first looks a bit too soft for my eye. I can't see the motion blur, but did you use mirror lock up? Even with a tripod and cable release mirror slap can be a problem.
    Graham
    Graham, Thanks for your comments. Did not use mirror lock up for these pics. Bruce